Brightest 2AAA light?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been asked to research and buy a small quantity of 2AA sized lights. They must be brighter than the Mag 2AAA, but the package cannot be larger.

So the specs are:

No larger than Mag 2AAA
Brighter than Mag 2AAA
Battery type is ? But no thicker than AAA.

I thought this would be easy, but when it comes right down to it, finding a really bright light that small is tough!

Bill

chrisse242

Enlightened
Hmm, underwater kinetics has several two aaa lights, some have the batteries side by side, some "in line". I don't know wether they are significantly brigther though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I don't know about any other two aaa lights that could be brighter than the mag 2aaa.

Chrisse

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The brinkmann grain o wheat bulb that fits in the 2xaa minimag will also fit in the 2xaaa minimag and is brighter that the stock minimag bulb.

Austin

Newly Enlightened
PT Blast is very bright for a 2AAA light. It is a side by side configuration, so may not be the shape you want.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the UKE 2AAA Xenon might be brighter than the 2AAA MiniMag. For better runtime and less hassles with the bulb, get the eLed version. Brightness might be comparable to the Minimag I think. The UKE 2AAA penlight that Chrisse mentioned might be the same bulb as the side by side version, so that might be an option too.
Else Pelican has a 3N Led light but I'm not sure about the brightness and runtime though. SL Stylus is also another one that uses N cells. Maybe you can take a look at Brightguy and select 'Penlights' for the Keyword to search. Gave me 11 hits.
Maybe you could give us more specifics and we could try and suggest something else? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have two pelican mitylite, 2uke 2AAA krypton and one uke 2AAA eled. I wouldn't spend a dime on the pelican lights the modules tend to die fast (I have gone through 5 modules) while the uke kryptons are still running. I find both the uke and pelican krypton about the same brightness but the uke has a little cruder of a spot although wider and possibly more useful. The eled uke version is rather dim compared to the kyptons, mainly useful in the dark and run time is outrageously useful for EDCing, I carry one in my pocket and rarely find it running down and its nice focused beam is a pleasure to use when it is pitch dark and the form factor of the side by side AAA is nice for fitting in a pocket too, especially if you forget and run it through a washer... waterproof.

I would recommend the uke krypton for its brightness/throw and the ELED version for its nice beam and long run time in darker situations. Also uke customer service is top notch.
I stumbled across a place online that sells some of the uke lights cheap but don't know of anyone that has bought from them on here so I cannot recommend them with experience. The prices on the uke2AAA lights are the cheapest I have found but I haven't tried to order yet since I am currently broke/unemployed. Premieronline

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys, I typed that in a hurry.

Ok, better specs-

Must be roughly cylindrical, these go in a pen shaped holder that will fit the 2AAA Maglite, so the side by sides won't work. It could be slightly longer and 2-3 millimeters larger in diameter, but AA Mags WON'T fit.

I currently have the Mag 2AAA in my suitcoat pocket and I'm running the Brinkmann bulb mentioned above with Lithium AAA's. It is considerably brighter than stock, so it might be the best option, but I wanted to check others.

Of the lights mentioned so far, the Pelican MIGHT work, any comparison in brightness would be helpful. The rest seem to be side by sides. I haven't gone to brightguy yet, but I will.

Bill

HesNot

Enlightened
Bill - The Pelicans are pretty nice little lights but they have a molded plastic body that is not as thick as a 2AA Maglite but definitely thicker than the 2AAA Mag. It also has a built in pocket clip that also adds to the total circumfrance. Consequently it may not be the best choice.

What is budget for this project? A Tektite LT-1 LED module in a 2AAA Mag body seems like an attractive option, brighter than the stock bulb and around 6 hours of runtime, plus led reliability. The LT-1 runs around $22 I believe. There are some nice beamshots at www.led-replacement.com comparing it to the stock bulb. Brighter and whiter with decent regulation.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
there is a uke 2AAA krypton version that is not side by side.. I believe it uses the same lamps as the side by side version also.

cmendoza

Enlightened
I put a Lamda luxeon pill into a 2AAA minimag and it was quite bright. Ended up selling it in B/S/T. I don't know if he still has the mini pills.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UKE 2AAA penlight seems to be the ticket then... Of course the dropin modules/pills are great too, if your budget allows for it. Best thing is that you will be able to buy the eLed modules separately if you want to, and swap out the lamp assemblies whenever you need a dimmer, long running light. Good luck!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

P/S: Thanks for the link, Lynx! They sure look pretty good in price... If anyone has had any experience ordering from these ppl, can you pls let me know as well? TIA.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I searched CPF about 6 months ago for any mention of premieronlineproducts.com and came up with nothing. I figured I would order about 3 or 4 lights from them as christmas presents when I came up with the funds and pick up an extra eled 2AAA module for one of my other lights and use the krypton module for a headlamp mod I have in mind.

sorry that isn't much help. One thing I shrug about.... their prices actually went UP on some of the lights they used to have the 2AAA krypton (both types) for 6.99 and the eled for 8.25 back then... still the prices are cheaper now.
I just wish they had the green 2AAA side by side I found at brightguy for 9.99 in eled version. My friend has two red UKE2AAA lights so I am jealous because all I have in the uke is black, black, and a third black one.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, their price for a UKE 2AAA (in either configuration) and the LED bezel is $12.90, which sounds pretty good. Shipping appears to be $6. for any number of them, so I'm real tempted...

I would put them next to all my $5 PT Attitudes from REI...

For Christmas, I need new family who don't already have lots of flashlights.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It looks like it is cheaper to order the krypton version and a seperate eled module if you want both than the other way around. I was drooling over the uk4aa eled with traffic cone and helmet clip accessories also thought about the uk2L for a vehicle or backup camping light. I think though the uke4aa eled may be a better buy at brightguy.com, about the same price but I think it comes with batteries if it is still on sale.

I just like the feel of plastic flashlights better than aluminum ones, although I wish I had a plastic AAA small led light with a good pushbutton switch instead of twisting the bezel on/off. I had a uk2AA and liked the switch but found I didn't fit my usefulness as much and gave it to my sister who is an engineer so she would have a light to inspect welds and stuff. The 2AA is a cool light just wish they had the 1watt luxeon for it, I would buy one with 5-6 hours of run time or more for the size.