Streamlight Stinger HP Mod

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of putting 5 1/2 sub C's and an Ultrastinger bulb in a Stinger HP to basically get a shortened Ultrastinger. The measurements of the 1/2 sub C's looks like like 5 of them will fit.

Has anyone ever tried this mod?

Thanks.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think this has been done. If they fit, you will not be able to charge the batteries in the light, using charging cradle, due to Streamlights prorpritary battery design. See top of Stinger battery pack. Also, you will need to add nipple to batteries for positive contact, and overall length may be a issue. Some flat top batteries (Aero) come with a raised contact area on positive end that will serve as a nipple. Runtime will be reduced, compared to UltraStinger, as most 1/2 sub C's barely make 1000mAh. Would be a bright sucker, though.

Bill

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The light you're talking about has been created and reviewed. I can't get the link to work so go to SEARCH and put within quotation marks:"brightest small light now with increased runtime" and you'll have it.

Brightnorm

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, it's my baby...There's a ton of info on it, using the search feature...
And I can charge it in the stock cradle. Using 1300MAH SC's I have abouit 40 minutes of runtime.

--dan Stinger 6V

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
Does Tnrtechnical still make these battery packs and if so how do you order them? I'd pay $25 a piece to get a short ultrastinger. Have you had any problems to speak of? This thing sounds great.

I was sort of hoping I had an original idea with this. On the other hand, this will be easier for me to do now that someone else has done some groundwork.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right,
I built a bunch of these packs based on Dano's design. Can't say it was much fun. It works (you have to use the US slow charger I think) and is pretty bright. Really? You are able to charge it on the stock Stinger cradle?

Wilkey

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Error on my part. I charge it in an Ultrastinger's fast charge cradle, NOT the normal (3.6v) STinger cradle.

I had batterystation.com make the initial 5 cell stick, and I added the collar to bring the negative terminal to the top of the stick.

-dan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Glad I saw this. I've been charging it in the slow charger. Right off that charger it is brighter than the US right off the fast charger, but I guess I'll charge it on the fast charger from now on, unless you think that slow-charging won't harm it.

BTW, I call it the "Mini-Ultra" and it's the rechargeable equivalent of the D3/SRTH, but better because it stays brighter longer.

Brightnorm