magnetic switches for the masses

notrefined

Enlightened
Saw sportsmansguide has an LED and LED/incan hybrid light with magnetic switches, selling at $25 each. I suppose that I should be afraid of a magnetic switch at that price, but does this mean we may be seeing more of this?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
perhaps so, I have seen overpriced *gimmick* lights I call them, where they put more into the shell and switches than the bulbs/LEDs, some of the good gimmicks make way into decent lights.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
it'd be interesting. the only light i'm familiar with that uses a magnetic switch is the Heliotek HTE-1, which seems to be a beyond-solid light, but @ $100.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
when it comes to LED lights a wimpy 1-4 5mm LED light regardless of how fancy the switch/case is, isn't worth more than about 10-15.00 IMO, now if you drive better quality LEDs a little harder and get a light that is more than noticeably brighter with a slicker case etc... I can see paying more, but the quality of a lot of *gimmick* lights either leaves the LEDs wimpy or the functionality funky or a combination making the light interesting but probably just sit on the shelf and gather dust while a cheaper or more expensive light is used.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the 1 - 3 LED - Xenon model, here in Italy is marketed with LiteXpress brand, but is exactly the same of the one shown on sportsmanguide, and model # LD-830 on the Nuwai site. I paid 25 E for it. It uses a reed switch, which is a small glass envelope with two leafs inside, that touches when there is a magnetic field. Not very high tech, we use Hall effect chips nowadays...
What wonders me a bit is the round PCB, double sided, that makes the ring switch with discrete SMD components. Way TOO many parts, and there is no regulation for the LEDs nor the bulb. By the way, I cannot find a source for a bi-pin 4.8 V 0.3 A bulb. It is the same of Minimag, but 4.8 Volt. Anyone?

Anthony

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would rather have a reed switch(as the detector) rather than a hall sensor
the hall effect sensor would be always on and slowly draining the batterys even when the flashlight was off.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Markdi,

Reed switches have left a trail of problems in electronic devices: they get "plated" if the current is too low, they glue if the current is too high, activate under shock, the glass envelope breaks even in case of a moderate drop. Reliable electronic design don't use reed switches, but for a few bucks underwater light I believe they are viable.
The power consuption of a Hall CMOS detector is 0.1 uA, I don't think the current draw is the reason not to use it in a underwater light switch.

Anthony

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is usually other components involved with the hall sensor.
even flashlights that have momentary button switches
to control functions slowly drain their batteries.

BobVA

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
there is usually other components involved with the hall sensor.
even flashlights that have momentary button switches
to control functions slowly drain their batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were reading the status of the Hall switch with a microprocessor (or even a gate) the current drain would be neglible (i.e. below the self-discharge rate of most batteries you would use in a light).

Cheers,
Bob

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definetively off topic, I have a Led-Lenser V2 Mini Moon, which uses a Nichia 5 MM and one AAA. It has an electronic ON-OFF switch, and when it is off, draws a current in excess of 30 uA. After one year, more than 50% of the battery capacity is gone.
On the other hand, I believe the current draw of an ARC4, another always-powered light, is around 0.1 uA, which is more reasonable, since it would discharge the battery to 50% in 100 years, or 5% in 10 years, the shelflife of the battery.

Anthony

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
a flashlight that is used a lot it would not be a big deal
if the electronics was slowly draining the light