What would be the best general purpose LED light?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a good light for my dad (myself too) as a general illumination instrument. I would like to find a good long running LED light for under 50 bucks. I doesn't have to be ridiculously bright but I would like to get the brightest I can for the buck. I have 2 Surefires (6P & G2Z) and they are way too bright for closeup work like the inside of computers etc... I was looking into Inovas' and they look ok, but I was looking to get some opinions..

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite happy with my EverLED and Mags for a general purpose light. (you guys must think I work for the everled poeple as often as I recommend them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) You could also probably get a Mag, O-sink, and 3 watt LED for around 50 bucks...that would give you a pretty bright, long lasting light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another vote here for the UK 4AA eLED. Great regulated runtime with a more than adequate level of throw and spill. Get a couple Dorcy AAA's while you're at it.

Geoff

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Yet another vote for the UK 4AA eLED.

As an alternative, check out the Streamlight Junior Luxeon. Brighter, but shorter runtime. Or, do the CPF thing, and get both!

skr

Newly Enlightened
Re: What would be the best general purpose LED lig

If you want something that'll be useful for closeup work -- such as working on the internals of computers -- then you need to be careful to not buy a light that is too powerful. A light that is too powerful will be as detrimental as it is helpful, as you will often be 'blinded' by the light reflected from shiny metal objects on the motherboard and case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I was helping a friend assemble a new computer a couple nights ago and was using a MiniMag with a Terralux Ministar2 module (1W Luxeon) and WriteRight film on the lens. It was definitely too bright for the work, and I found myself wishing that I had brought my Dorcy 1AAA 1LED light -- it'd have been a better choice for that use. Anything more than 3-4 5mm LEDs would be too much for this use IMHO.

lightnix

Enlightened

Gerber (CMG) Infinity / Infinity Ultra spring to mind. Regulated 40 (Infinity) or 25 (Ultra) hours from a single AA battery. Very tough design, not too bright, especially the straight Infinity.

zblades

Newly Enlightened

I just ghose the streamlight 3 watt led taskight it has two diffent modules in it, for bright and low light here are some specs
Battery (2) 3 Volt Lithium
Lamp 50,000 hour, 3 Watt super high-flux Luxeon Star LED
Material Machined aluminum, unbreakable polycarbonate lens.
Color Black

Weight
(with batteries) 5.9 ounces
Length 6 inches
Run Time 3 hours (Full Power)
11.5 hours (Low Power)
Power (2 Modes) 80 Lumens (Full Power)
20 Lumens (Low Power)

,,,,,,,,,,,Z

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
Another vote here for the UK 4AA eLED. Great regulated runtime with a more than adequate level of throw and spill. Get a couple Dorcy AAA's while you're at it.

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

yup!
just rebuilt my dryer using the uk4aaled--perfect light for the job.

Bob

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Anything more than 3-4 5mm LEDs would be too much for this use IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! 3 LEDs is good for this sort of thing.

PT Attitude or Dorcy 1AA 3 LED would be good choices.

I've taken my PT Attitude camping for 3 years and it is almost the only light we use. Bright enough for most walking around tasks and not too bright for task work.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another vote for UK 4aa eled

SpecialAgent

Newly Enlightened

Go to the "Say you have $200 bucks,what EDC Light to buy?" thread in general flashlight diescussion thread.....your answer awaits you there.lots of awesome info,tech advice and a running thread that ended in the finest EDC Light I have ever seen.
McGizmo is da man!!!!!!!!!! Full Stop! His kit is world class.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Hmmm, maybe we could cheer Don some more, he loves that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened

Hi.

Try a Streamlight tt-3aa luxeon LED flashlight

http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/streamlight_tasklux.htm

or a:

Streamlight Jr lux 2aa.

http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FLR_SL_Jr_LED.htm

I tested Energizer silver NH15 rechargable batteries in the JR . The batteries lasted 2hours.

----------

The Lux3aa is better as it last 24+hours. However its uses 3 AA batteries and is about 9 inches long.

You can remove (unscrew)the colimnator (cap) off the Jr and it gives a very nice smooth wide beam, though no where near as bright, but still usefull. However by doing so there's nothing left to protect the bulb .

Enjoy

cognitivefun

Enlightened

the SL Jr. is a wonderful light for the size and the money. It fits nicely in a shirt pocket even.

But there is always the Gerber LX3. I have one on the way and will let you know what I think. What attracted me here is the greater throw and power I am hoping for as an all-around-the-house light. It will definitely be running on rechargable NiMH.

Tentou

Newly Enlightened

You guys must all have a third hand to hold those lights with!

I'd recommend a headlamp-style LED light like the one that CountyComm sells. It has a little flip up red shield, fits well and runs long. It's got a good flood and leave your hands free to wreak havoc inside of cases. The Energizer headlamp is also great for computer work. I got mine from Wal-mart for less than 20 bucks.

Then take that other cash and get some other crazy LED light!

Brinkman

Newly Enlightened

I agree, a headlamp led is generally good for computer work, as i have used to use my Princeton Tec Aurora LED Headlamp for this. However, now that i have a Dorcy 1AAA, i only use that now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Honestly, I've tried several of my lights inside my computeres and most of them are just too bright. I mean, if you just need to look for jumper settings or something like that, then most lights would work, but if you wanted to get in there and pull out a hard drive and move cables around and stuff like that, most of them leave me with some temporary blindless.

I do think that the Infinity and Infinity Ultra are a must have for any collection. And the Dorcy 1LED/1AAA is probably the best small light out there when considering the cost.

Generally, I recommend the Infinity Ultra, the Princeton Tec Attitude and the Streamlight 2L or 3C TwinTask. For general, non-tactical indoor use, I really like the LED setting on the 2L TwinTask. I'd like to check out the Gerber Trio. For general purposes, I like a wide flood and the Trio looks like a very nice option. I just wish they'd make the same head design powered with a single 123a.