Inoxa X5's, What is the best color? What purpose are all the different colors?

road__kill

Newly Enlightened
Inoxa X5\'s, What is the best color? What purpose are all the different colors?

I have sold a ton of the new X5's. The white beams are out selling the blue ones by about
5 to 1. Now the green and red beams have been released. Can anybody give me a reason
or purpose to all he different colors. The blue and green seem brighter than the white but
the red doesn't really look like it is. I don't know that much about them I just like to sell them.
What purpose, if any, do all the different colors serve.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inoxa X5\'s, What is the best color? What purpose are all the different colors?

I do like these new X5s, just got me one recently. Very nice light indeed
grin.gif

White, for the best all-round colour rendering.

Red, to preserve night vision (apparently).

Blue, for tracking blood- use with Luminol and it glows, use alone and blood stands out as jet-black against the background. Hunting, forensics, etc (CSI was just on TV!)

Green, er, well green appears brightest to the human eye so that one may appeal to those who want a bright light but don`t need colour rendering. Good for camping/hiking/outdoorsy stuff and the beam spread is uaually wide too. Doesn`t show up on Night Vison gear apparently.

To be honest, I think the real reason behind the different colours you find in ELD lights is "because they can". LEDs are neat like that. Bright and efficient coloured lighting. Now, to find applications for them.....

wink.gif
tongue.gif

road__kill

Newly Enlightened
Re: Inoxa X5\'s, What is the best color? What purpose are all the different colors?

Thanks, now next time I see something smashed in the road I will probably get arrested for stopping and shinning my blue light on it to see if the blood really looks black.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened

I have found the opposite to be true... I've sold 5 greens and no whites...I don't seem to have got any interest in the white BT1. My new cyans are expected to sell really well, judging on how people react when they see the BT2 I have with cyans! Cyan is the nearest light to the maximum sensitivity of the human eye. I really like the cyan colour, it is a very "clean" colour and is easy on the eye. The colour rendering is better than a primary colour LED, though obviously not as good as white in that respect. Cyan torches offer a good quality reading, walking and general purpose light.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

Green LEDs also have very long runtime, since they will still shine brightly at around 5ma per LED. This could be suppressed by the fact that the X5 uses lithiums, so you may want to test the runtime on the green yourself first before claiming this.

Also, red won't attract bugs, or at least not nearly as much as the shorter wavelengths. So you could add this to your selling points. Also note that red is a very unusual and easily seen color in the wilderness, what with it being against a mainly green background. So that makes it good for signaling. It also allows you to see through green brush (i.e. penetrates the forest). At the same time, it fails to illuminate leaves well and doesn't appear as bright. I don't think it's as inherently as bright as even white (say when shined at a wall).

There's a couple of other things I've noticed about colors:

1) Shorter wavelengths (I'm not sure about blue 'cause I don't have any blue lights) seem to reflect the water vapor in the air more, and produce a hazy glow about their beams. I don't like this since they're backscattering light in your face, essentially decreasing the contrast between the target and its surroundings.

2) Longer wavelengths seem to give better depth perception. I've noticed this repeatedly, but I don't know why this would be true.

yclo

Flashaholic*

Did anyone notice that on the X5T instruction booklet they mentioned something about the red using one cell?

YC

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened

I think Road Kill has some of these X5 T forsale. From the web site I thought it has a tail switch. Which I like. But I have heard the regular X5 bad mouthed to some extent on these forums - - - sooooooo, now I wonder just how bright this apparently new Inova X5 T really is. Anybody know or care to shed some light on this question?
--Ðøug
cool_shades.gif

road__kill

Newly Enlightened

As far as brightness goes I didn't notice all that much of a difference between the old X5's
and the new ones. They (inova) claim it is about 15% brighter but without any type on light meter I really did not notice there to be any big difference.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone done the math to determine what percentage of the energy from those precious lithium batts goes to the LED vs. what gets dropped by the resistor?

For example Batts=6V, 3.6V for LEDs & 2.4V for resistor. So 60% for LEDs, 40% lost in resistor. These numbers are hypothetical, I'm wondering what the real ones are?