New SureFire L2 Questions

PhantomZ

Enlightened
as of today, i am a proud owner of a new SureFire L2. i find that the high low settings seems to be more versatile for all around use. the A2 was one of my choices but the 3 lumens didnt seem all to bright enough for me and it would be a bummer to get a replacement for the blown incan. i would explain more of the little pickiness i wanted in a light before deciding on which light to purchase but that would take too much time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
anyways, about my questions for those of you that own a L2,

1st question is about the white circle sticker on the bazel. what does it mean? i dont think the L2 has a selection of LED colours to purchase so i'm guessing it doesnt mean its a white light? and do you guys peel it off or do you leave it on, try to keep it there as long as possible till it comes off without you knowing??

2nd, the lanyard ring, i noticed that its made from 2 pieces just glued together? anyone ever broken it before and what do you use to glue it back together without having it glued to the tailcap so you can rotate it? what is the purpose of those 2 arch thingy on the end of the clip? is it for attaching the lanyard to it? i havent opened the bag for the lanyard so i dont know if it will fit.

3rd and maybe my final question till i find more to ask. do all L2 make that humming sound on the low setting??? i can hear it when i'm in a quiet room or when its really close to my ear in a more busy area. i guess i can live with it but im' wondering if its normal.

thanks in advance for reading this post and answering~

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) What white sticker? There is and never was a white sticker on my L2 bezel. Just the "Hot Surface" warning.

2) The two pieces of the lanyard ring are just snapped together, not glued. Very difficult to remove (has someone any tips for that?). I broke one of the clips, so it doesn't hold without gluing, which I will not try. I seldom use lanyards, I just prefer the optics with the ring in place. Since the whole lanyard only cost $12 I will it replace it with a new one later. Don't know what you mean with the two arch things. There are two clips on the end of the back part to snap the two pieces together. The front part has a ring to attach the lanyard.

3) Yes, the humming is normal. I myself cannot hear it except when near my ears. If you think it's to loud, call Surefire. They seem to be very helpful. I myself never had to try their customer service -- the L2 is my first one, and works just beautifully. Great light!

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
I had the white paper dot sticker on the KL4 head of my L4.

Don't know what it meant to SF, got rid of it.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed on some newer SF lights that have color options for their LED's that they have a colored sticker on the bezel to indicate it's color (probably helps at the factory). My L2 did not come with a sticker though, but it may mean that SF will be offering color choices for the L2 in the future? Given that it is a dummy head, it might not be too much of a cost to switch heads either.

Like others have said, that lanyard ring just snaps together and is held pretty securely by the shape of the tail cap. To remove it, you need a mini screwdriver to wedge between the pieces and twist away from the lanyard loop (taking care not to scratch the tailcap).

The hum is normal and seems to indicate when the low mode is operating in regulation; I think it is pretty cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PhantomZ

Enlightened
thanks you guys for the info~

i might try removing the ring. sometimes when i turn the tailcap for constant on i grab the ring instead to turn thinking its just the tailcap. as for the white sticker? i'll remove it but i'll keep it stuck on the box. i kinda like keeping the original of things together~

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Although everyone has pretty much covered your questions, I'll answer them too (hopefully add more info). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1) Yes, this denotes LED colours. I take it off and throw it out. I'll know when I turn on the light. Some people keep it on.

2) Answered above--this is the same lanyard on the A2 and L1. I believe if you run a search on the A2 lanyard, you'll find more info (I remember Al posting a blurb on how to remove it using a knife).

2a) By the two arch thingy, I think you are referring to the new clip? Is it a clip? This clip is useful, IMO. SureFire recently started shipping some (all?) lights with this clip--yes, it attaches and detaches to the lanyard.

3) Mine hums too. I believe most of them do. Regulated low setting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhantomZ

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Prolepsis said:

2a) By the two arch thingy, I think you are referring to the new clip? Is it a clip? This clip is useful, IMO. SureFire recently started shipping some (all?) lights with this clip--yes, it attaches and detaches to the lanyard.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup! the 2 arch thingy is on the end of the clip. i never knew the clip was new and i agree that the clip is handy~ lucky it comes with a longer clip unlike the L1, L4 and L5.