protecting an M6

Spike

Newly Enlightened
What do you use to protect a SF M6 from a harsh enviroment? I soon hope to have an M6 that will be carried in a back pack on a daily basis but I want to protect it from bumps and scrapes as the pack is thrown into the back of a van or on the floor. I've seen the Blackhawk duty pouch but have in mind something more rigid....a tube maybe? The M6 will be in addition to a magcharger and a G2z so instant accessability is not a major issue but protection is.
What do you do to protect those valuable lights?
All advice is welcome

fluorescent

Enlightened
I have a FM27 on mine....
fm27_full01.jpg

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I wanted to really protect my M6, I would buy a Pelican case--the plastic watertight boxes with foam inside. Throw a mini lock on it for security.

Flashdark

Enlightened
spike,

The "M6" holster by SOEgear.com is a wonderful field holster for the M6, M3T, M3, M3/FM14. It is not rigid but a true field (packbelt/dutybelt) holster. An M6 will NOT fit in their holster if you put an FM24 or any other filter cover on the front of it. I do not know of a rigid container for the light but hopefully, someone else will.

Hope this helps.

riscfaktor

Newly Enlightened
Maybe one of those plastic tubes you store welding rod in would work. May be a bit long for your taste though.

avusblue

Enlightened
My guess is that you'll have to worry more about protecting your other stuff FROM the M6! They have some pretty massive and aggressive knurling!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Enjoy it when it arrives.

Dave

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto avus,
When I put my SF lights in a bag with other stuff, it's the other stuff I usually worry about protecting...

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lightraven said:
If I wanted to really protect my M6, I would buy a Pelican case--the plastic watertight boxes with foam inside. Throw a mini lock on it for security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mini lock on a pelican? Wouldn't they just carry it away? I have a wireless remote alarm on my pelicans. It works just like a car alarm (arm/disarm) with 110db motion alarm. $30 at Fry's

Spike

Newly Enlightened
Its that tough then?
So I'll actually be protecting the back of the vehicle from the M6!
I still like the idea of a rigid tube maybe with a screw lid, looks like I'll have to make my own.

Spike

Newly Enlightened
Thats kind of what I had in mind, it surprises me that companies such as Surefire don't manufacture such things.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spike said:
[ QUOTE ]
... it surprises me that companies such as Surefire don't manufacture such things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the cheap & easy comment from above that doesn't appeal to them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spike

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Lunal_Tic I'm not sure what you mean.
I would have thought it is not unreasonable to expect a company such as Surefire to supply a sturdier form of protection for its products than the cardboard box they come in. I can easily get a variety of hard protective cases for a rifle for example, it to is a sturdy, all weather piece of equipment but when its off my shoulder I don't just leave it to rattle around the back of the vehicle.
I have a $300 flashlight and I want to keep it in the best condition possible, I would have thought it is not unreasonable to look to its manufacturer to assist me in doing so. I appreciate its one tough cookie but I also see it as an expensive and fine optical instrument that is worth looking after.
I trust that makes my thoughts clearer.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always get them from third-party manufacturers. Batterystation sells a lot of nice Pelican cases with foam that will keep the SF's safe. Surefire has enough trouble keeping up with producing their main flashlight line that they might be reluctant to bring cases into the picture.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spike,

No worries. Sometimes I'm a bit oblique. Let me try it this way. They make lights; anything else is merely a small concession to the masses.

[ QUOTE ]
I would have thought it is not unreasonable to expect a company such as Surefire to supply a sturdier form of protection for its products than the cardboard box they come in. I can easily get a variety of hard protective cases for a rifle for example, it to is a sturdy, all weather piece of equipment but when its off my shoulder I don't just leave it to rattle around the back of the vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not unreasonable at all but A)they're Surefire home to the 11 axis CNC machine (I think it's 11) and B) are your gun cases made by the gun mfg?

Maybe this is a little clearer . . .I hope.
LT

Spike

Newly Enlightened
Lunal_Tic
Cheers.
My answer to 'B' is that most manufacturer give you the option of cases.
Surefire supply a Lanyard ?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spike,

You've got to admire that lanyard too. Especially the bent wire clip at the end of it or have they upgraded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think you've gotten my point. It's a third party or DIY proposition.

Good luck, let's hear what you do.
LT

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Spike

I love the functions and quality of Surefires. Nothing easily can beat their products. However it appears that sometimes form does win out over function. Although they produce some well made holsters many of them appear to be an after thought. It sometimes appears that someone suddenly thinks thats a great light we've made now how do we design a holster to fit it? The best example of this is the 10X Dominator but the M2 with a clickie could well be another example and I could go cite others equally deserving for the lets make a carry holster now we've made this light award!

It seems reasonable to me that the M6 and other highend lights from Surefire need to be carried to where they are going to be used and a sensible form of cover from Surefire would not go amiss in their accessory list?

Doug

Spike

Newly Enlightened
Doug thanks for your support and LT I know where you are coming from.....yes the clip is very basic. It will take a while but I'll let you know what I end up with (build)