Need help with choosing 1xCR123A light

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
After being a John Kerry(flip flopper) among flashlight choices I finally decided that my next light will be a 1x123A light. I found many choices. Here are what I am considering.
1.) Nuwai quantum III (of course)
2.) SureFire E1e and maybe I can invest in a KL1 later on.
3.) Vital gear 1x123 body with a KL1
If there are any disadvantages in any of the lights you are more than welcome to state them. I am still doing some research for others. What I want in the light I will buy is brightness of course. Durability too just for the heck of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated and if you do suggest something, please keep them in the 50-80$ price range. I want to stay away from Arcs and Alephs because of price. Please understand that my budget isnt a very large one.

javafool

Enlightened
Nuwai Q3 is a good choice. I also like my Longbow Mirca with a reflector added. It "seems" very bright and more durable than the Nuaui.

Terry

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
just a problem wiht the micros though. From what I hear, they dont have regulation and even if you are lucky, your brightness level drops like a rock usually within an hour. QIII seems a bit of low quality and I believe I will eliminate it from my list. Also, the QIII doesnt seem to have a spot. It is more of a flood light. I WANT A LIGHT WITH A SPOT WA HAHA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this gonna be a edc? if not i would reccomend something from the Inova T seris. A T3 is only about 70 dollars max and its BRIGHT.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
the micras are regulated
but once the batt's voltage drops too low it wont relight straight away - you have to wait for the cell to recover a bit before it will light up again

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't dismiss the Q-III out of hand.

I think build quality is about on par with Streamlights (anyone think that's coincidence?). No, it's not HA-III, but it's not hard and sharp enough to tear heck out of your pockets, either. It is mostly a flood (you were expecting a 1x123, 3.5" Night Sun?), but the beam is tighter than my L4, with a smaller hotspot. It's small enough to put on your belt and forget, and comes with a holster so you can.

And, for your $80 limit, you can buy two.

Shipped.

You don't get perfection at that price, but then you also don't get it at any other price... and you won't be afraid to carry and use it, you won't be devastated if you drop it, damage the finish, or even lose it.

So, do you need a user, or want a drawer queen?

stockae92

Enlightened
if you want more spot than spill

then try the Inova T1, its longer than Q3, but the optic should give you more throw and spot than Q3

kenny

Newly Enlightened
if you have a dremel and a couple of drill bits, you can get whatever you want!!! (like, for instance, bowling pin, 6 deg carclo optic, and a board from whomever!).

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think of a vital gear with KL1?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Vitalgear with a KL1 is a great, nice small setup. Runtime is about 1 hour+ IIRC, and I used to edc my KL1 with my E1e body. Now I've 'upgraded' it to the E2e body... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Its a great combo and you won't regret the KL1. For even more savings you could run them off one rechargable 123s available from JSBurly's and you'd have a guilt free light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You may want to also take a look at the Tektite Splashlite Led, it runs 1x123 and uses a modified L222 Led bulb, while the latest I heard is that they have a Luxeon bulb version out already. They're really small and cheap, runtime on the L222 led bulb with 1x123 is about 6-8 hrs IIRC. Apart from that, they're also waterproof and pretty bright for its size...

freefall8

Newly Enlightened
I own a Vital Gear FB1/Surefire KL1 combo, and a Longbow Micra. Both are great lights.

I like the Vital Gear/Surefire combo a little better. Small, really bright, and great ergonomics

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
You may want to also take a look at the Tektite Splashlite Led...They're really small and cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

The manufacturer emailed me that they're $39 with the luxeon LED, which may or may not be that cheap depending on your definition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
You may want to also take a look at the Tektite Splashlite Led...They're really small and cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

The manufacturer emailed me that they're $39 with the luxeon LED, which may or may not be that cheap depending on your definition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PM on the way to you Sotto... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nightshade

Enlightened
Another vote for the new KL1/VG combo.That will make a great, first single 123 light. If I were starting all over,the KL1 and the UKE 2L,with both led and incan lamps,would probably be my first purchases. Although the 2L is a 2 cell, it isn't THAT much larger than the LB Micra.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve,

If you're looking for a real performer, the only one that probably sticks out is the KL1 combo. The one draw back to the KL1 is that the beam is ALL hotspot and no sidespill. This really makes the light unsuitable for typical flashlight tasks.

I would recommend that you get an older, pre gen 4, KL1 and VG1 body. This would be a cost effecive start. It won't be cheap, but the older KL1 is a good mod host and can be had on BST for about $30 in most cases.

Modding it would include overdrivng it to 700mA, adding a nice Lux III, and replacing the NX05 optic with a turned down McR20 reflector.

You should PM me, so that we can discuss it further.