Gerber LX 3.0 or Pelican M6 LED for Hiking/Camping

ncsumd

Newly Enlightened
I like the Gerber because it uses AA's, but like the M6 because of it's small size. For those of you that have used both; which would be better for hiking/camping/etc..? Which has the best flood?

Thanks

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which has the best flood?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Pelican gives about 80 degrees of spill, the Gerber about 40 degrees.

Neither light has a clip. The 3AA Gerber might run longer, but both would give useful light for several hours (unregulated).

My samples show about equal brightness hot spots, with the Gerber having a larger bright center, so a few more lumens.

steve_vance

Enlightened
Depends on whether you're 'car-camping" or backpacking. For car camping, a brighter light would be more fun (hence the LX3.0) and size would be less of an issue. Likewise runtime, since you can always throw some extra batteries in the glove box.

For backpacking, in my experience, size is much less of an issue than weight......the M6 is heavy ...you can strap all kinds of things to your pack but it's the weight you have to live with....in my opinion LX3.0 is overkill for a camping light; better off with maybe a Trio or LX1.0.....especially if you're backpacking. The longer runtimes and adequate brightness IMHO would be superior to dazzling brightness and a short runtime.

My vote: for car-camping, the LX3.0; for backpacking, a Trio.While it is an excellent "duty light", I do not personally feel that the M6 is a great camping light.

ncsumd

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. It's hard to get the feel of a light when you can't actually hold/examine one before buying.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
Re: Gerber LX 3.0 or Pelican M6 LED for Hiking/Cam

The Gerber is pretty heavy also. It would make a good weapon in a pinch. It might be a might heavy for backpacking for sure but probably fine for camping.

StuU

Enlightened

The UK e4AA is the light for camping. Great beam with a nice hot spot + lots of spill. Waterproof. Nearly indestructible. Bright yellow so you can find it at night. Easily lashed onto pack or lanyard. 11-15 hours of steady non-dimming light output. One of the best on the night-time trailwalks.

The Pelican M6 is wa-a-y to bright for standard camping activities. Unless you expect to be spotlighting Grizzlies.

junior

Enlightened

I have just bought the Dorcy 2AA for an led walking light. I will put liths in it for more power and runtime. It is light and fits in my BBC pouch where my mini-mag used to ride. I also bought a Dorcy1AAA for back up and to fit in my niteize headband. I will also use liths in that light.

I may carry my SFG2 for throw if needed.

OOPs i forgot that i also carry an inova pocket lite in a survial pack. Always forget that its in there.

I carry a Recon Tanto and Glock .40 for defense.

ncsumd

Newly Enlightened

Thanks. I'm going to check out the UK.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

I love my UK. It is an ideal light for camping and hiking and I don't know why I didn't think of it. I have two and I may buy more. They have a great beam pattern for outdoors use, combining throw and flood in the right ratio.

Niteowl

Enlightened

Ditto on the Mighty UK!

You can lighten it up by using lithium batteries. If you stick with alkalines, you can use the incan. head also for optional lighting.

Mark

STEVENT6

Enlightened

I agree with last few posts, especially if you plan to do backpacking (for a few days) and not car-camping. You probably want to consider something with longer runtime. And of course something with throw is also good to have, even if it means taking a few lights.

paulr

Flashaholic

I'd put the UK 4AA eLED head on the UK 2L body, which uses two 123's for about 7 hours of runtime. Very small and light.

STEVENT6

Enlightened

I haven't bought a uk4aa (yet) I have noticed that it is recomended here a lot for many things. When backpacking I use an impact xl, but also carry a xpr103 bulb (radio shack 3cell). I only handled a pelican in a store and read about the gerber. I wouldn't want them for a longer backpacking trip mainly because the runtime, weight, and batteries concerning the M6.

nightshade

Enlightened

The UK4AA led is a nice camping light for the price. Another vote as well for carrying the incan lamp for times when longer throw may be desired. As stated above, with lithiums it is very lightweight and cold weather won't affect its performance.

ncsumd

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone!