What does a LED look like when it burns out???

Robban

Enlightened
I've only seen 5mm's burned out. Doesn't look like anything special really. It just becomes a bit brownish when you look at it directly from the front. Of course, it could look worse depending on how much juice you pump through it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaGeek

Enlightened
Does the degeneration process happen over a period of time? or does it happen suddenly?

AW

Newly Enlightened
I had a cheap clone 3W LS burn out by DD it with a LiIon battery. It just took about 2 hrs to burn out the thing and I saw it's beam turned from white to blue and then purple with diminishing output. Finally it just flickered intermittently and died.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only burned out 6 - one RED Lux I, and five Osrams. In the case of the Lux I, it just went really dim. The Osram just kind of "flashed", then completely dead.

BTW - all were my doing, I was running DD on a fairly powerful battery set. (I mean, you have to try - right ?)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
With a moderate overcurrent and subsequent failure, most LEDs will not look any different than their un-burned out counterparts unless you examine them closely under fairly high magnification.
With an especially high current, the epoxy dome can explode - you'll know the LED is burned out then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Crux

Newly Enlightened
When it no longer emits light it is called a "Dark Emitting Diode" or DED for short. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Crux

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Crux said:
When it no longer emits light it is called a "Dark Emitting Diode" or DED for short. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Crux

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It would be cool to have a dark emitting diode that you could take outside in daylight and shine it on someone with a big flood in the hot summer for shade.

scr7b

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:

With an especially high current, the epoxy dome can explode - you'll know the LED is burned out then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to second that one... I blew a 5mm red LED once by connecting it without a current limiting resistor, and it shattered into a million bits! One of the pieces hit me on the forehead and drew a little blood! I was lucky it didn't go into my eye...

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
It would be cool to have a dark emitting diode that you could take outside in daylight and shine it on someone with a big flood in the hot summer for shade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like.....one of these?

For some people, it's an EDC, too.

DaGeek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Crux said:

Crux

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to use that one with some of my friends!!! still LOL

legtu

Enlightened
Here's some pictures of my abused 5mm LED's.

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
What about worn out.... I have a few leds that I have worn out through 8+ years of constant use. They look the same, just a LOT dimmer.

On the upside.... I'm still on the original batteries.