A true flashaholic shines

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
Well, being the first day of firearms deer season here I got to actually USE my illumination tools. A friend's father got one at the edge of dark and we (he, his son, my brother and myself) went to retreive it from the marsh. My brother being the "brute force" kinda guy he is grabbed the 1 million candlepower spot light (grunt, grunt...more power), the guy who got the deer had a 2 AA Energizer incan, and me....WEEEELL(deep breath)Surefire L4, Surefire E2e, Surefire E1e, mag2D w/ Everled Lambertian and UCL/LDF and mag 3C w/ Everled sideemitting, sputtered reflector and UCL.

Well, needless to say the 2AA incan was 'almost' enough to navigate the pitch black woods we had to go through to get to the marsh. Of course the 1MCP spotlight really lit up everything and threw great...but...30min later the 2AA incan was just about as bright as the spotlight and seeing my arsenal of illumination tools, everyone was running over asking to borrow one. They really liked the nice white light of the LED's. I even had a spare lambertian Everled that I put in the 2AA light for our return trip. Was amazing to see the glow of a match go to a decent, usable amount light.

I can certainly say I do love LED light. I was using my E2e which was exceptionally bright but the L4 really took the cake; seemed like the whole woods lit up and on the marsh the side spill and wide hotspot was perfect. The one thing that the L4 really sucked at...not illuminating the waist deep sink hole hiding under the marsh grass! BRRRrrrr!

Everyone was amazed at the different lights I had, especially the L4, until I told them the cost. True flashaholics they were not.

Thanks for reading, thought I'd share me story with a group that might appreciate it.

theepdinker

Enlightened
A successful hunt & flashlight recovery.
Way to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

Theepdinker

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job. Always carry a few lights.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif like you said, about the spotlight - the light that burns the brightest doesn't always last the longest.

Modified large Mags excel when you really need the extreme runtime. Lithium CR123s are fantastic, but sometimes you just need the awesome never-runs-out capacity of D cells, and you can justify carrying the weight.