I'd like a single CR123 light that takes it > .5 V

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I\'d like a single CR123 light that takes it > .5 V

I tried to do a search, but wasn't sure what to put in the search box. Tried a few things, but got no where.

I'd like to know of a single, or even double CR123 flashlight that will have decent brightness until batteries are no more than .5 volts left. Is there such a torch available?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I\'d like a single CR123 light that takes it > .5 V

You mean open contact voltage? Not under load, right? I don't think that's possible due to the Lithium chemistry. Other people here have measured Surefires 123 after draining them in G2's. Result: still above 2.5V, but no current anymore. SF batteries seem to be extreme in this behaviour.

I have drained the Duracells that came with it in my Inova X5T, until the LEDs only glowed. Taken the batteries out. Still 1.5V. But nearly no light.

I think under load you'll get the batteries below .5V. But not open contact. Lithium batteries keep the voltage up, but cannot provide any current anymore when empty.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I\'d like a single CR123 light that takes it > .5 V

I mean, take the battery out, and check it's voltage with a voltmeter.

Reason I ask is, I just hate throwing out a CR123 that still shows 2 volts. I'd like to get the most I can out of it before tossing it in the garbage.

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened
Re: I\'d like a single CR123 light that takes it >

Yep that is what you have when the battery is drained, you have used all the capacity of it but it will measure 1.5 to 2.5 depending on the battery. This is a feature of lithium chemistry, but you have in fact drained the battery.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Okay, that's just weird. For there to be even 2.5 volts showing on the volt meter, yet it being drained? I take that it's different for alkaline batteries?

So, then what flashlight will keep a constant output until that drainage point is reached? I'd like something with the amazing constant current of the UK 4AA LED.

Zackerty

Enlightened

Orion,
I have made up a sleeve for two CR123A's plus a dummy spacer,to fit in my Moglite, when both cells measured a total of 3.8 volts.
The standard bulb lit up quite bright for about a minute, and then tapered off in about 7-8 minutes.
It sounds unfair to have volts availiable, and not been able to use them, but that's the chemistry involved, as alluded to by previous posters.
All good things eventually end...

Stu

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's some wacky chemistry, that's for sure!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Guess I'll just have to accept that fact, move on, and be happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks all!

Robban

Enlightened

Am I the only reacting at the "throw in the garbage" comment? Don't do that, think of the children! No really, batteries shouldn't be tossed in the garbage.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where shall I place them?

Is this for all batteries or just lithiums?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd imagine that a Madmax Lite with Red-Orange 1w would suck down the batteries pretty good...

Opalec should get the job done as well. I have one here that I'm going to make into a 1x123 light eventually.

Mark

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try a Tektite Splashlite Led. Its DD running 1x123, and I managed to get some useful light out of batts that were too weak to run on my KL1 and Arc LSL. I will try and dig up those old batts and attempt to measure the voltage on them when I get home. Hope I can still find them...

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is useful to look at the energizer and duracell web sites. They have some pretty good charts on their batteries. Similar charts have been done (at higher drain rates) by cpf silverfox. (see the electronics forum)

Li cells are designed to have very flat discharge until they are essentially empty.

A CPF member, milkyspit, has devised an ingenious light he calls the "milkycandle" It literally milks out the last electrons from those essentially dead cells.

I think he is prepping for another run of them, and has an interest sign up sheet.