CMG AA INFINITY 1W and 3W Mod

Jets22

Enlightened
I had a request when I was building the Arc AA 3W and 1W mods to build a Infinity AA version. I had 8 various Infinity AA hosts..mainly the U.S Government marked versions. I removed the electronics and LED from the factory head. The stock head was modified to accept a 1W or 3W emitter and spaced correctly for beam quality. The head was bored out and a dedicated ground path was added to aid in proper grounding. When completed the mod appears stock and functions perfectly. I was actually amazed at the light output and quality with a non polished reflector. I have found good binned 1W or 3W driven with a MM WO to be the ideal set-up. This host is only 1/8th inch longer than the Arc AA and the large lanyard hole is great for hanging this light. I have been using one of these for my night walks and have been impressed with the results. Thought you guys might like some bad pictures of a cool mod.

web page web page web page web page

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Great idea, Brock, it's like a stealth luxeon, in the way a sandwich-equipped Mag hides out til used. You should take me up sometime on the picture lesson thing, man.

daloosh

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't sticking a lithium ion 14500 really show what this puppy can do ? Like the mini minimags that have been around lately.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put me on the list. Depending on price, etc, I am in.

What is the current through the LED? Will rechargable Lion work in this, and if so what would be the current into it?

knifebright

Enlightened
i've got one of the 1watt arc aa's originaly offered. its' amazing. As far a l4500 cells go i'ts not recomended. THe max v-in is about 4 volts wich is a little high for a mm+. Now in my cmg-lux3 mod i do run the 14500 cells very well. Li-ion has its' risks so make sure you do the math before you used them. I personally use li-ion in about 75% of my lights.
jimmy

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
What do you mean by "a dedicated ground path was added to aid in proper grounding"?
Thx!

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong but I assume the head was bored out to accept a sandwich and since the emitter is placed at a certain point in the reflector, a smaller "step" must be made to come in contact with the ground on the sandwich but with the inner diameter of the "step" wide enough to allow the emitter to pass through without shorting on it's leads. For me this was the case. After I just read what I wrote, I know this may not seem to make sense, sorry I'm not very good at describing things, wish I had a pic to show you.

I don't have a lathe and bored my head by hand with a dremel to acomodate a sandwich. I had to make an additional spacer to make ground contact with the inside of the head and the sandwich. With a lathe it would be so much easier. I did one a while back here (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread in anyway).

Chop, if you start making more of these, please put me down for one too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
does it keep the water resistance of original infinity?
and how much are they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
darkzero said:
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
What do you mean by "a dedicated ground path was added to aid in proper grounding"?
Thx!

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong but I assume the head was bored out to accept a sandwich and since the emitter is placed at a certain point in the reflector, a smaller "step" must be made to come in contact with the ground on the sandwich but with the inner diameter of the "step" wide enough to allow the emitter to pass through without shorting on it's leads. For me this was the case. After I just read what I wrote, I know this may not seem to make sense, sorry I'm not very good at describing things, wish I had a pic to show you.

I don't have a lathe and bored my head by hand with a dremel to acomodate a sandwich. I had to make an additional spacer to make ground contact with the inside of the head and the sandwich. With a lathe it would be so much easier. I did one a while back here (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread in anyway).

Chop, if you start making more of these, please put me down for one too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So, like having a hole inside a hole? The emmiter fits tighly into the reflector, but the back side of the reflector needs to be wide enough not to short the circuit. Or, drilling a smaller hole next to the larger hole so that the + (or -, I don't know) of the sammie... I think I understand what you're saying, DZ, thx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any chance this could be done with a Leatherman Wave and a soldering iron? That's all I have as far as tools go. I know, I know... Would the stock board drive a Lux with 1xAA? I'm assuming I wouldn't have to bore as much then... I guess. I want one of these, but it would be more fun to make it myself. Thanks, DZ!