Surefire L5 & luxeon lottery - your experiences?

Geode

Enlightened
I've heard much about the luxeon lottery with respect to the 5W LEDs in lights. The only L5 I have ever owned had a nice white beam with no donut hole.

Has anyone ever had a greenish or other off-white color tint in an L5 they have owned? Thanks.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire L5 & luxeon lottery - your experience

My L5 had a beam that was a little on the blue side, but still within the acceptable range of white. My L4 had perfect tint and no doughnut hole. I sold both of these lights because I prefer throw over sheer "wall of light" output--at least for flashlights larger than 1-123A size.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened

My L5 has the worst green tint of any of my lights. Little to no doughnut hole though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif. I'm used to the lottery now (though it bothers the s*** out of me), the light is perfect in every other way. No flaws other than the tint, so I'll keep it and wait to find a good white w, or x bin to swap out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My L4, L1, KL1, and L6 all have good to great tint. The KL1 being the whitest. I have another KL6 that is a big disapointment (large donut, and mediocre tint).

redcar

Enlightened

my L5 (arrived today) has no donut, and I only notice a slight green if I compare it to my L2 or L4. Both the L2 and L4 have very slight donuts.