Making a SF divable...

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
I have seen the SF will make your light divable. What exactly does this entail and how much does it cost?

rycen

Enlightened
It is something like 150 and they dont do it at the moment.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire does not make the SureFire light you have "divable".
They test and depth rate individual lights to order. They have the model letter "N" such as "6PN" or "M651P-N" or "M2-N" etc. to indicate this.
They may not have any, or any of the one you want in stock, and they may not be able to offer you the option of "N" rating the model you want.

The "N" rating or "Navy" rating is for 33 metres and basically relies on the light not being opened prior to use (good care of the o-ring seals can help maintian this rating). In reality, most SureFires are designed and produced capable of being tested and rated. Depending on your application and perferred model I would not hesitate to take the SureFire (unrated and tested) underwater.

Did you have a specific model in mind?

Al

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
No model in mind, just curious. Also would not mind having a more waterproof light - but I know they are pretty good enough as is.

btw - where do you get orings and grease? for sf. I've had mine for almost a year and figure its time to do some maintenance.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Replacement o-rings can be ordered from SureFire. The lube I use is Nye Lubricants NyoGel 759G which I ordered from Nye.
A little goes a long way...
p482lm.jpg

(Fixed pic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Bart)

DELLED

Newly Enlightened
I just got around to calling SF and they said they don't normal sell o-rings for preventative maintenance. The CS guy said as long as there is lube on the rings, they are fine. Any thoughts? And where ELSE do you the o-rings?

code09

Enlightened
o rings can be purchased from surefireparts on ebay. His username on here is JCCIV.

Deanster

Enlightened
I hate to be a pain, but what do you mean by 'divable'? Do you just mean 'submergable', or do you mean 'able to use confidently in active diving to 120 feet or more under less-than-ideal conditions'?

I'd feel comfortable taking most of my Surefires for a swim, especially if I'd checked and lightly lubed the rings beforehand.

However, as a diver, there's no way in heck I'd take a Surefire to depth. In nearly every possible way, they are constructed incorrectly to maintain integrity in real use at say, 100 feet. That's a whole other kettle of fish, and a real dive-rated light that's rated to say, 500 feet, is required.

I've had every Surefire I own in 3' of water for an hour in my hot tub, operated the switch several times at that depth, and come away convinced that they're fine for basic submersion in most cases.

Trusting them to operate while you're banging around at 100fsw is a whole other thing.