L6 vs U2 - next possible purchase

mokona2

Enlightened
I'm considering these two flashlights for my next purchase. Overall throw is not a primary consideration for me, but I'm not sure if I need the 6 levels of adjustment from the U2. What else should I take into consideration before I decide (other than buying both) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Also, how would a beam shaper affect the overall brightness of an L5 (which I currently own and the beam shaper would fit the U2) or L6? Is it just a more uniform flood rather than a concentrated bright spot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

Whether you need to carry it (and how you're going to do that) is an important issue you need to consider.
The L6 is longer, bigger and heavier than the U2. The L6 has no pocketclip. You need a good method and reason for getting and using the L6 - such like you already have a CombatHolster for the M3.

If you own an L5 then the U2 has five additional levels of output in a slightly smaller flashlight with a bezel-down clip. This could be a very important factor.

The FM64 BeamShaper for the M2, 8AX/8NX, L5 and U2 will diffuse the beam into an extremely wide angle pure and even "wash" of light.

The FM14 BeamShaper is for the M3, 9AN and L6.

Al

Blinder

Newly Enlightened
If you are not concerned with throw, a category in which the L6 would be a little more superior, then I might select the U2. Granted, I am plagued by the same problem, specifically as to whether one could use 6 levels of light, but I have found, being a target shooter, that a U2 may be a far more versatile light. Whether wielding one in conjuction with a pistol defensively, or just having a light for multiple needs, I feel that the U2 may be worth the extra $5.00. Personally, my main concerns are whether to buy the U2 now because I have seen a model equipped with a strike bezel in Surefire's Combat Tactics and also because Surefire is starting to implement new collimators int their LED lights. One thing worth keeping in mind is that there are def. times when 65 lumens of light may not be necessary and even attract unwanted attention.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I have an L6, and it's a terrific light, but I think that at MSRP on both lights, the U2 is a better deal. If you don't need the light to run at full brightness all the time, the U2 probably has better runtime than the L6. (If you just run it at full brightness mostly, then why buy the U2 when you already have an L5?) The other advantage of the L6 is that you can convert it to a very bright, long throwing incand with a turbo-head from SF. I ended up picking the L6 because I didn't get it for $5 less than a U2 - I found one for $70 less. It was too good a deal to pass up - so I didn't!

There's no question, though, that the U2 is a more versatile light. I'm also guessing that you'll find the various light levels more useful than you'd think. I believe the L6 has better throw. I like the light and don't regret my choice in the slightest, but if I had to do it again and had to pay at or near MSRP on either light, I'd definitely go with the U2.

mokona2

Enlightened
Hmm.. all valid arguments. Thanks all for the comments. I'm off to order my U2 then since it seems more suited to my general purpose usage rather than full power, long throw. Of course, I could get an L6 later if I really felt the urge.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mokona2 said:
Of course, I could get an L6 later if I really felt the urge.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you can buy two lights that are >$250 and it's not instant grounds for divorce at your house?!? Dude!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

symes

Enlightened
Good call on the U2, again I think the my L6 is brighter overall throw and overall output, but the flexibility of the U2 if you use lower levels is awesome.

I do miss the tactical rubber ring though on the U2, I would rather have the L6, actually my M3 if we're talking hostile, when shooting with a pistol...

luxlover

Banned
MrBenchmark,
The only reason Gilbert is alive, is that he performs the action that is demonstrated in your three "bowdown" graemlins.....He worships and bows down to "the little lady." She is "DA BOSS!"

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the L6 you can do what I did and buy a M3 incandescent head with MN11 for it, that way I can have much more power when I need it! Not sure if it is for sale at Surefire but I got mine off a CPF member.

mokona2

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MrBenchmark said:
You mean you can buy two lights that are >$250 and it's not instant grounds for divorce at your house?!? Dude!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.. actually I'm not married so the only one to worry is my conscience.. When I listen that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

mokona2

Enlightened
Buy both? Tempting, perhaps in a few weeks or so heh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

PhantomZ

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
symes said:

I do miss the tactical rubber ring though on the U2, I would rather have the L6, actually my M3 if we're talking hostile, when shooting with a pistol...

[/ QUOTE ]

if its the rubber ring that lets you hold the light in the, roger surefire grip (i think thats whats its called) then you can search the forum cause someone was able to take out the clip and add the rubber ring to the U2.