Freeplay FPSL Lantern Mod

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine, knowing my obsession with flashlights and gadgets, picked up a Freeplay FPSL Self-powered Lantern at Atwoods for me. It's an intriguing device, with a dual-filament Xenon bulb for dual-brightness options.
I'm interested in modding it with LEDs, maybe setting it up to use one red LED when the switch is in the "low-power mode" for general seeing without too much disturbance to night vision, and a trio of high-power white or amber LEDs (or a combination for maximum light AND color identification) for use in the high power mode.
I'm aware already that there is a higher model of the Freeplay lantern, the 2020, which has a cluster of LEDs and a Xenon bulb, but I feel like the challenge has been lain out before me to build my own interpretation.

The low/high power switch just sends current through one of two pathways, the Xenon bulb having each a 300ma and 1000ma (or so) filament. It doesn't appear that any regulation is already provided by the flashlight, so I just need to rig up two different LED packages with their own resistors... I'll have to eventually put up a progress report on my website, if feedback, moral support, and maybe some technical suggestions prove sufficient to begin....