mod kits?

skillet

Enlightened
OK.. More new guy questions.... My reading is now up to nine hours... This is great...

To the point.. Can kits be bought to mod m@g lites (c/d) or do I just need to build from individual parts?

I've looked at some builds of members here.

I just couldn't find if this is just bragging material or items to be purchased.

I have found some sources, but not all..

This is Skillet.. I bought Brinkman MaxFire and A Garrity LED light 45 minutes ago....

This is bad... real bad..

davidra

Enlightened
The simplest Mag mod, and it will blow your mind, is the Mag 2C 3X123 mod. Doesn't need a kit; takes 5 minutes to put together. Go to any hardware store and get a short piece of pvc pipe (I think it's 1/4 inch) that you can just get a 123 battery into. Measure and cut the pipe (I use a hacksaw) so it just fills the battery space where the 2 C cells usually go; doesn't even have to be exact. Get some electrical tape and wrap it around the outside of the pipe at the top and bottom to keep it from rattling around. Go to Radio Shack and get a KPR 112 bulb. Stick three 123 batteries in the tube, put it in the flashlight, change the bulb, and you're ready to go. After you decide you love it, do a search on here for Reflectalite GH24 bulbs and order some from the UK (they take Paypal and shipping is good). After a while, you can order a glass lens and an aluminum reflector if you want, but you can get started for under $20...and it'll outthrow almost any production flashlight.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also buy replacements to replace bulbs with LED's for the MiniM*gs and also for the C and D M*gs. There are quite a few of these reviewed on flashlightreviews.com.

Other simple mods-
1) Put Lithium AA's in your MiniM*g to extend the runtime and reduce the voltage dropoff of alkalines.
2) Replace the bulb in a MiniM*g with a similar bulb from Brinkman.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second davidra. As for leds, they have drop in modules. So not a kit, just a bulb change. BTW, on the KPR112, the bulb is like a buck at radshack, and you can try it on three cr123's without the holder. My spring was tight enough to hold the batteries in place without rattle. I did finally get a 3/4 hose and split it down the middle. Also the CR123 batteries can be ordered from batterystation.com or amondotech.com for a buck a piece.

But you might get better answers if you say what you want the light for. The KPR112 mod is good for long distance through, but runtime is a little bit pricy. Led is great for good practical light that is bright and has good runtime.

skillet

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies..

I was wanting, (for now) to modify M*aglites at home.. I have no CNC, no Lathe, no machining equip.. I am pretty handy with a rotary tool and soldering iron....anyway... I'll try the C m*ag trick this weekend.. or sooner.. liked the looks of a "space needle"... how does that comparte to a 2D xenon bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, skillet. You, my friend, should visit dat2zip's shoppe. Most of the stuff you'll need is there. eBay and Fry's are two other good sources of materials. But for custom heatsinks, pre-made converters, and various other toys, the shoppe will make you happy (and your wallet look slimmer).