Pila GL3X and GL3 real life opinion needed

Hoya

Newly Enlightened
I am now into Pila lights. Am impressed by the quality of it. the 9V lights caught my attention. I am now looking at this 2 models GL3X and GL3, basically what are the differences? I want to hear from people whom has both of these lights and has used them in real life. I have never used Pila products so really greek to me.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hoya, please check out the link in my sigline for details on the Pila GL3. There are several good posts in the reviews section as well.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a glx3r and i find it to be a great light for what i do
it doesnt throw much further than my surefire 6p but it has a really wide flood beam which works better for me than a tight spot
i wouldnt trade it for anything

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
The only major difference between the GL3 and GL3X is the size of the head. GL3 has a narrow beam head and the GL3X and a wide angle head. GL3 has more throw, but the GL3X covers a wider area. Beam quality on the Pila is, IMO, one of the best out there. Perfectly round with no imperfections or "voids". Let me know if you have any other questions. You can see them on our site at www.bugoutgearusa.com

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com
Authorized Pila Dealer

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flavio nailed it. I have the GL4/Gl3/GL3X and I love them all . I also have the GL2

Just can't go wrong with any of them

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
Look in the "Group buys and passarounds" section to see my posts, but I was privileged enough to be able to use the GL3R that jsburlys.com very generously provided some of us to use. I really liked it, and with the LED tail cap (ok, the MODIFIED white one, but still...), it gives you the option of LED and xenon, as well as using rechargeable 150A lithium-ion cells or disposable 123A lithium batteries.

Dependent on how much you can afford, or are willing, to pay, it would be a great choice.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really liked the GL3R, I was also able to get my hands on the passaround light for a few days. If you can afford it i would say go for it. If you cant afford it. I would say a Streamlight Scorpion might be a nice lower-cost alternative. If you have other lights that require Pila cells then getting the GL3 makes all the sense in the world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif VERY well built light.

Shane

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
IF I did NOT have access to a rechargeable duty light, and was looking to buy my own bright, rechargeable, compact, aluminum bodied light, I would try to save for a GL3R or GL3XR or GL4R.

As it is, I am thinking about buying 2 or 4 Pila 150A cells plus 1 Pila charger, and use them in my modified Mag 3 C and/or Brightstar 3 D lights.

Now, if the exchange rate would only improve...

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
I have a G4R, a GL3R, and a WolfEyes m90x. All three are top-notch. I would like a little better throw versus the excellent flood. I prefer the clickies to the LED tailcap. The runtime is good and if I am running low, the option of throwing in the CR123's is great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
mine is the G3R...it is a good size, heavy, solid & bright light.
knurling seems a little slippery & the clicky is a little stiff.
however, the most surprising thing is that my beam has a bright, thin ring artifact.
it is about 1/3 inside the beam's circumference.
i have not heard of this & might be a defect in the light assembly.
has anyone experience something like this?

CESDewar

Newly Enlightened
I now have over two dozen flashlights sitting on my shelf, but of all of them, my Pila GL3R stands out. It doesn't have the throw or brightness of my Ultra Stinger, and it's a lot heavier and bigger than my EDC Q3, and I have a Gl2 and a Gl4 but when I need to grab a flashlight, it's the GL3 that I take because it hits that sweetspot - it's a compromise in the GOOD sense of that word, meeting almost all needs. What I really like about the Pila lights is the LED tailcap. Many times I don't need 130 lumens, I just need enough to get across a dark room, and the LED tailcap works great for that while greatly extending the run-time. JR Burlison was most helpful to me when I got started on all of this and JR Burlison is, fortunately(!), not all that unusual of the high quality vendors that we get to deal with on these forums. When you unscrew the tailcap of a Pila, the quality hits you right away as it has that wonderful, silky smoothness of accurate machining. The Pila rechargeables are really nice if you use a flashlight every day (I do). For occasional usage, I find the GL2 a good compromise too as it is quite a bit smaller and lighter and yet still puts out a good beam... IMHO you will never be disappointed with a Pila light.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
CESDewar,

Hey, I was thinking about you and the Gorillias the other day. I am soo glad that you are still with us. How are things going.

You guys just have to look at his Gorillia Website. It is really neat.

CESDewar

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
CESDewar,
Hey, I was thinking about you and the Gorillas the other day. I am soo glad that you are still with us. How are things going.

Well. I missed this post - so replying late!(still learning ins and outs of this forum). We are already planning for a full night drill 'gorilla capture' this Spring (when it's a bit warmer). Although our facility is so secure it's most unlikely any animal will ever escape out of the primary containment area, we regularly practice recapture within the 70ac secondary containment area which is heavily wooded and poses quite a challenge at night. I am thinking that I'll probably equip our recapture team with Pila GL4 lights as we need a LOT of light without too much weight and the GL4 has great coverage. There are a few brighter lights out there (for mucho $'s), but I really like the LED tailcap as it means you only burn the amps when you specifically using it for long-distance illumination and not just walking along.

I also have a 10m candlepower monster, but that's not exactly an EDC type light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif - I did figure out how to mount the GL3 you were kind enough to provide on one of our dart rifles and have been practicing shooting at up to 50m at night - definitely a different experience! Anyway, we're cranking things up as our next villa is nearing completion and there'll be more gorillas arriving mid-year! This forum has been most helpful, although my wife is looking at all the flashlights in my office (I guess there are uhhh...mmmm..uhhh...ok a LOT) and wondering if there's a Flashlights Anonymous support group somewhere... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoya, if you look around in the groupbuy/passaround forum, you'll find that there's a Pila GL3 passaround going on right now. When it does come to Singapore, and if no one else on the list minds, you might want to take a look first? Go post in that thread.