how would you rate Maglite 6D? Scale 1-10(10=high)

flashniac

Newly Enlightened
I've liked flashlights for more than 15 years now, but I started collecting them just a few months ago when I felt the need to start a hobbie. I have always thought that Maglites were among the best in quality until I found this forum and started hearing all these brands i have never heard. how would CPFers rate the Maglite compered to others in quality, light duration and lumens?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Quality of construction IMO is 8
Light duration................ 4
lumens........................ 4
quality of beam............... 2
Overall compared to more
modern offerings.............. 5
Usefulness in toolbox......... 9

Doug

Doug

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stock MagLites are the GM cars of the flashlight world while the mods and customs are the hot rods, race cars, and exotics.

I don't think it's fair to try to compare them. A stock Chevy Monte Carlo isn't going to fair too well in a NASCAR race, while a NASCAR stock car isn't very useful for shopping. But, the body from the Monte Carlo is used to encase some mighty fine racers. MagLites are exactly the same as the Monte Carlo.

Stock Mag's are great "beaters" and it doesn't hurt too much to lose one. Given the choice between a stock Mag and one of my Surefire's or customs, I will leave stock Mag behind every time.

Having said all that, the 6D has pretty decent throw for a stock light. I have one, but I still don't use it. It's just too darn big.

Welcome to the CPF!

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: how would you rate Maglite 6D? Scale 1-10(10=h

toolbox use : 9
carryable : 1 1/2
hammer use : 9
mod use : 9
comparatively : 3 1/2

Later,
Baker

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to hate Maglites. That was until I discovered modding Maglites. Now I love them.

The case is a very nice case and comes in lots of pretty colors. They are so easy to make so much better. There are endless possibilities with what you can do with them - replace the body with a FM fat D body, replace the head with a FM 3V/H head, cut down the body to make a 1D or 1C, drop an LED in to have a led light with great throw, drop in an Inretec 3x3w replacement led light, put in an HID bulb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif, etc., etc. The list goes on and on.

Surefire and Streamlight don't even offer a light, short of $3000 that can even come close to my modded Maglights for total output and throw, and I'm just getting started.

My modded Maglite collection is growing faster than a room full of rabbits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Rating:

Ease of modding - 10
Fun to modify - 10
Wow factor showing sleeper Mag mods to friends - 10
Cost to mod - 10

Sorry for getting carried away, but did I say I like Maglites.

Designer1

Newly Enlightened

About a 1 or 2. They are only good if your using it as a club.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Designer1 said:
About a 1 or 2. They are only good if your using it as a club.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously don't own a Mag85. Don't trust me - ask anyone who has one, or has even seen on one.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not a modder (yet), but my plain ole 5D Mags, with "upgrade" Magnum Star xenon bulbs ($3 @ BrightGuy), out-throw an awful light of lights. Yes, they're big, but they're sturdy, focuseable, cheap, and cheap to run (maybe 10 hrs. on $2.50 worth of D cells).

Terribly out of fashion, but a lot of long-term bang for the buck, IMO.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

AF, don't sell yourself short. You have taken the first step on a very fun journey - you upgraded the bulb. Now it's time to upgrade the bulb some more. If you PM me your address, I'll send you a couple to try. Whatever doesn't make your light brighter, just send back.

Also you need to keep an eye out for aluminum reflectors so you don't melt your stock plastic reflector. My guess is that within the next month or 2, there will be a group buy for aluminum reflectors that fit into a Mag without modification. Keep an eye on B/S/T, you might come across the reflector you need.

Happy modding.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon

JimH its nice to see someone on this forum who knows a good light when he sees it mags are so incrediby easy to mod and the sleeper quality is awesome oh and they are friggin bright when done right!!!

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always like to have a little flashlight with me.

Magaton.sized.jpg

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mags are great to mod and for the price you get awesome fit and finish. Sotto where did you get that attachment? I've been looking for that for awhile now, can you get another?

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

lasercrazy:

I picked it up at the local army/navy surplus store. I've never seen another one there. The brand name stamped on it is "Mil-Tech".

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

I luv MagLites but Mag6D is a "little" too long for me.
If I need an impact weapon I'll bring out the knun-chucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

This looks like it. Cheap too, great addition to a 6D mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif They have another one on the site that costs more, I wonder what the difference is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Reptilezs

Enlightened

the one that is more expensive says it is made in the usa

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

EEEEeeeeeekkkkk!!!!

I actually saw a 6D M*g at Academy earlier.

That thing is SCARY long!

Oh well, I have half of what it takes to make a 3D M*g into a stealth MC... I just need to get a better bulb on the way (Hopefully potted because I have Carley 812 Bi-Pin adapters that only like 1A!!!)