What is the next best thing to a AAA Arc?

Zippy

Newly Enlightened
It's been awhile since I have lurked around this site...came back to see if Arc had any new product offerings. WHOA! OUTTA BUSINESS.

I am kicking myself for never buying a second Arc AAA for my other keyring. Just never thought they'd go belly up with their excellent product line and my perception that demand was high for their products. WTF happened??!!

In any case, what would you recommend as the best alternatative to the AAA Arc?

Thank you for your time.

sideshowandy

Newly Enlightened
i have both ARC AAA and Peak Matterhorn - the ARC is superior build quality, but the Peak is good too. however the Peak (i have the snow colour LED)is brighter and whiter than the ARC. the Peak is 1 cm longer than the ARC.

i've kept the Peak and given the ARC to my wife!

Donovan

Enlightened
I have been told to go to the Annamerria Dallasandra Collection and scroll to the bottm and select:
1.5v AAA 1 LED Hi-Power Snow / with lug body

I have no idea what the "lug body" is? Anyone have a pic? What the difference between this and a regular matterhorn?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "lug body" is the body end that terminate's into a pinched, half moon shaped lanyard hole end, like CMG infinity's that arc copied. so, it make's it a little shorter then the regular peak 1xAAA light's.VDG

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The lug body is just like the Arc AAA. The other "regular" Peak body is longer with a screw-out split ring stud, giving it the ability to stand on its end.

Geoff

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
The lug body is just like the Arc AAA. The other "regular" Peak body is longer with a screw-out split ring stud, giving it the ability to stand on its end.

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

is that body also HAIII?

Bob

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing 3 LED AAA matterhorns in HA III natural on ebay before. What are those?

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I actually like the peak single AAA with 3 LEDS better than the ARC. It is the same diameter but has 3 leds in the head. The head is about a 1/4" longer (eyeballing it). It has a much brighter beam and has a lot more throw than the Arc.

I do think the ARC is more rugged, but if so, it is not by much.

Also with the Peak you can unscrew it from your keychain and stand it on end in candle mode. You can't do that with the Arc.

J

FlyUSArmy

Newly Enlightened
I agree a Peak is a suitable replacement for an ARC AAA.

However, I went with a Peak N cell to substitute for the ARC. I don't use the light so much that the loss of runtime matters. And going with the N cell keeps the length at about the same length as the ARC was.

I actually like the Peak design better, with the removable tail lug. You can then unscrew it from your keys or carry method.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have my Arc AAA on a BP mini-clip so it removes easily from the key chain. Total length is about the same as the Peak with the screw tail, but it's flexible, so I think maybe a bit easier to carry. Candle mode would be nice, I suppose. I have a lug-end Peak on order and maybe I'll get one of the screw-tail ones sometime.

The Peak AA is also only available with the screw tail and I'm even less happy about that. I think it should either have a flat end like the Firefly 2, or a traditional cutaway lanyard hole like the Minimag or the original Arc LS twisty.

Donovan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have a side to side pic of a lug body next to an Arc?
Also, does the 3 LED version just use 3 of the same output LEDS as the 1 LED version so its 3 times brighter?

paulr

Flashaholic
The original Peak lug body was identical to an Arc (made on the same machines with the same CNC programs, there was zero difference). They may have changed it some in the current incarnation. I'm getting one real soon (received shipping notice) so I'll post a description when it arrives.

Yes, the Peak 3LED is basically 3x as bright as the Peak 1LED. Peak runs its leds at lower current than Arc does, so the Arc is around 1.5x as bright as the Peak 1LED or half the 3LED.

gorlank

Enlightened
Here's a pic comparing the Arc AAA to the Peak 3 led prototype. It's my last Arc so I'm not taking it out of the package. The Peak is quite nice, one resides on my keychain. I'd sure like to see them make more in this same vein. The hotspot is brighter than the Arc but it's a tight beam not as much spill as the Arc AAA. Also the finish around the head of the proto was mottled, no biggy.

arcvesuspeak.jpg