HDS EDC Basic 60 vs Ultimate 42 - Which one?

HID

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have been on the pre-order list for this light for a long time. Now that they are shipping and that the product line has expanded, I am torn on these two versions: the basic 60 and the ultimate 42. I mean you're talking the same $$$ now, but the choice is between versatility (ultimate 42) or sheer output (basic 60). I will say up front that I am far back enough on the preorder list that I'm hopefull in seeing a post/review comparing these two lights so I can see the difference in throw and or lumens and make an informed choice ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif all you early pre-order fanatics!). anyway, for those following this light will know what I'm talking about, and I'm interested in hearing how you fall on the issue. I may spring for the extra bucks and get both (ultimate 60), but then again, maybe not. right now I lean a little towards the versatility of having the light set up just the way I want over the 18 more lumens, but time will tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dsl

Newly Enlightened
i dont think the difference between 42 and 60 lumens is verry noticable to the anked eye. I am with the basic 42 because I dont need all the extra settings and the difference in lumens is no big deal.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fist off,Welcome to CPF ! this is a great asylum,,,uh i mean assembly of cool people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif . lot's of expert's to really oepn you up to a cool new world of light's. first thing first:

take out wallet

take a caliper and measure wallet's thickness

write down the measurement, and save it. now revel in it! because it will never be that thick again!

I have been really waiting for the HDS,I got into high end Luxeon's in mid 2004, when arc was going down and out.
So when i saw this light i felt a good vibe researched it and ordered a basic, then a basic 60. ( iknow as incan's go i can see a noticable difference in 40 and 60, and was told with the reflector on the HDS, this will be seen in increased throw,a nd I am all about throw.)

from your perspective, i see your point. but i think you would wonder how bright the sixty is, and may find the 4 setting's on the basic are plenty. If I like the basic, i plan on buying a ultimate 60.
(Of course the CPF Motto is: buy'em both!)
If it's really a difficult decision, i would just spring for the extra 35 buck's and get a ultimate 60. IMHO, it will save a lot of stress, and doubt.VDG

HID

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies so far; everyone brings up some good points. I am definately anxious to see a comparison and hopefull that one will be out soon.

tinkerfy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:

take out wallet

take a caliper and measure wallet's thickness

write down the measurement, and save it. now revel in it! because it will never be that thick again!

[/ QUOTE ]

erm, wouldn't it be the same thickness, with the additional receipts, CC statements? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

there is a basic comparison here.