Mods avaiIable for G.I. flashlights?

sniper

Enlightened
I have always liked the angle head service issue flashlight. Other than a drop-in, are there any reasonably simple mods for improving the brightness/ putting a Luxeon in? I know that Wayne at Elektrolumens modifies them, but what can somebody do his ownself? Would the DD 3Cell and a 3 cell bulb a'la Mag mod work? How could you heatsink the LED in the plastic body? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks

MoonRise

Enlightened
Re: Issue flashlight mods

FYI, it's Wayne at ElektroLumens. Kevin is at BatteryStation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RussH

Enlightened

The quick & easy hot wire mods for a 2D flashlight will work for these, too. My favorite is a 6AAto2D adapter (or 3toDs, or 8AAto2Ds, etc.) and the appropriate bulb. With a plastic body, there is NO way to get the heat out of it for cooling a Lux3. You can use it in short bursts of a few minutes at a time, but I prefer metal hosts for any luxeon mods. One does need an excuse to do hot wire mods anyway. How about an MR-16 12v of 5,10, 15, or 20w, can you get one in there? It's hard to get 12v in a 2D, but you can come close.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

The anglehead begs for a WA 1111 driven at 7.2 volts. I don't have one though, so I can't tell you what will definitely work.

Bill