Longbow vs. Peak

Sierra_Bill

Newly Enlightened
In case people are wondering, I know about the search function and I used it on both brands. I was just wondering if people had used both lights and could provide a qualitative comparison of them based on their experience. I'm particularly wondering about relative value for money.

Thanks,
Bill D.

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
Its hard to compare Luxeons with 1 or more CR123 (Longbow) to a variety of batteries powering 5mm LEDs (Peak). The Longbows will always be much brighter, but the Peaks will enjoy much longer runtimes.

From prior reading/research, I got the impression that both brands were reasonably respected. Longbow seems to be sort of mid to high-mid in the range. Not quite the level of Surefire, and well short of custom lights like the Alephs. When I made my purcahse, I went with the QIII and saved about $20 (which, incidently, went towards buying a Peak Shasta). The Longbow's HA-3 finish would probably last longer, but the lower price of the QIII was more attractive in the short term.

Maybe when Peak releases the Luxeons they have been talking about this comparison can have more meat to it. Right now it really is apples and pears. We can compare the color and thickness of the skin, but not the insides so much.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I only own a LongBow Micra (two, actually) so I can't speak about the Peak lights.

I love the Micra. Fit and finish is excellent, and with the simple addition of a reflector and UCL it is a fantastic EDC light. I bought both of mine pre-owned, so I didn't have to suffer through the Luxeon lottery.

Sierra_Bill

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lahjik said:
Its hard to compare Luxeons with 1 or more CR123 (Longbow) to a variety of batteries powering 5mm LEDs (Peak).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about the different LEDs that I had carelessly missed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif. As for the batteries, the longbow site shows some of them using alkalines. I agree that comparisons should be made with between lights with the same battery types and LEDs.

Thanks, lahjic and WallaceD for your informative responses!

Bill D.