Inova T1 Flickering

rugbymatt

Enlightened
my inova T1 is flickering is this a sign the battery is dying or is a bigger problem. It only seems to do it occasionally

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
I read another post stating that most silicone greases are electrical insulators. The poster (I didn't make note who) suggested using "Radio Shack cat. # 276-1372 or similar". I have an X03 that came lubed w/ silicone and it will sometimes dim and brighten. Occasionally I have to tap it against my palm to get it to light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif Now that pisses me off in a $70 light. I haven't yet tried cleaning and re-greasing my light. I do believe the phenomenon is getting worse the more I run down the first set of batteries that came in my inova, so it could be a problem with the electronics too. I don't know. I plan to send mine back to emmisive energy once I obtain something else to carry while its gone.

capnal

Enlightened
well, try this.
I have found that my T1 will fail to light if the tail cap is backed off even the slightest bit.
By that I mean even 1/8 turn or less! Serioulsy, if the tail cap is not fully tightened, it will not light up.

rugbymatt

Enlightened
Thanks but that is not the problem, while using it just starts to flicker. If i turn it off and on again it goes away. And it has only done it once each day for the last week.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam of flashlightreviews.com noted a similar problem with one of his T units that was solved by repeated clicking and unclicking of the switch:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm See the paragraph just under the picture of the tailcap. I've never seen this with either my T1 or T3- even after slamming the T1 on pavement by accident and gouging up the annodize.

Crow

Newly Enlightened
To localize the problem to the switch (My guess) you could try removing the tailcap and taping a piece of foil to the exposed rear of the light, connecting the battery to the body. Use the light like this for awhile, and if it doesn't flicker, bingo: it's likely the switch.

I've had an experience with Inova's 'top quality', my T3 has a couple pits and noticeable debris on the optic. Not what I expected. Customer service said I could return it to the place of purchase (not possible; online) or send it off to them... The latter option would leave me without my beloved, though flawed, flashlight for MONTHS. Ohwell

-Crow

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Crow said:
Customer service said I could return it to the place of purchase (not possible; online) or send it off to them... The latter option would leave me without my beloved, though flawed, flashlight for MONTHS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not actually. I returned my T1 to them, and had a replacement within about a week (10 days, IIRC.)

BTW, neither my T1 or my T3 has a flickering problem.

Crow

Newly Enlightened
I think my dissatisfaction with the light caused me to loose my objectivity about Inova and I apologize. I'm very pessimistic about shipping times anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

bobspel

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 T1s and have given another 2 away as gifts. None of these have flicker problems. I am very happy with mine and have had no troubles thus far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif