Upgraded Energizer Folding Lantern?

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Just passing along what I hope is some useful information. An Energizer Folding Lantern just came home with me from Lowes. It is the 4D - two fluorescent bulbs - folding model. The store had two styles of Energizer folding lamps. I took home the one that appears to be a new model with some upgrades. I compared the two models in the store and note the following differences:

1. The new model has a different color green case. More like an OD green and has the Energizer logo on the front. I would call the other model more of a forest green in color.

2. The new model has a black carry handle that seems beefier then the yellow handle (both lights were in packaging but the black appears sturdier).

3. The new model has a "reflective mirror" over the battery door. I suspect this helps with brightness when using the lamp in the down / closed position. The mirror looks to be some type of shiny metal.

4. The new model has an additional light! It is an led identified as a "nightlight." When in the folded closed position, there is a small dome protruding down from the top between the two fluorescent bulbs that houses the led.

5. The three-way swith is now four-way. The new position is to function the led nightlight.

I could not find this model on Energizer's website. I haven't used the light yet but it seems sturdy. Can't wait to start playing with it.

Anyone else see or use this model light yet?

Neal

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great...already having an expensive month...now I'm gonna have to get one of these sent over by someone to update my review of the original...eek!

Certainly sounds interesting though, the original folding lantern was always a very good light given the price. have two here, one is my everday bedside light (on top of the stereo), and one is a power failure light in my parents room. Mine's since been fitted with decent 3500K GE tubes, but both lanterns have proved to be exceedingly handy, and the D cells do indeed last forever!

triplem

Newly Enlightened
After playing with the lantern a little I am impressed. It seems quite sturdy for a $15 light with 20 & 40 hour run time.

I will use this as an in-house emergency light during power outages and for camping.

The only thing I don't like is the activation switch. It moves very easily. My concern is that it may be inadvertently activated when packed for camping and jostled around. A simple fix may be some duct tape over the switch while traveling!

Neal

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have seen the LED folding lanterns at Lowes or home depot here, don't recall which store had it though.