Flashlight for wife's purse... hehe

Freshman

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight for wife\'s purse... hehe

It has to be small, lightweight and bright.

I was thinking Inova X5 or Streamlight Strion?

The X5 because it lasts 20 hours between battery changes?

The Strion cause it's small, bright and has a charger?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Strion = 80 Lumens

X5 = ?? Lumens

jsmn4vu

Newly Enlightened
Re: Flashlight for wife\'s purse... hehe

[ QUOTE ]
Freshman said:
It has to be small, lightweight and bright.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an oppportunity for a Nuwai Q-III.

Freshman

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like an oppportunity for a Nuwai Q-III.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the Lumens and run time on the Q3?

Links?

What are the Lumens on the X5?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fat_Tony

Enlightened

Have you thought about the MegaRay? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Inova X5 is good for about 5 hours according to this. It's not that small either. I don't have mine yet (in the mail), but the Nuwai .5W 2AAA seems like a nice candidate for small and pretty bright.

And basically, it will be your job to check her light from time to time and keep the batteries up to snuff.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

What would your wife use if for and how often would she use it? If it is just to find something at the bottom of her purse, I would get a 5mm LED coin cell light.
If she wants it for walking the dog or something to that effect, the Q3 or a SF "E" series light should do the trick.

How often will she use it and for how long? If she would only use it maybe once a week for 30 seconds, then forget the rechargable and get something that runs on primary cells. Get the rechargable if she walks the dog at night for 45 minutes a day. Hope that helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peak AA 5-LED snow in brass

I have one and it is very classy looking, bright on lithium AA batteries, nice beam color and small in size. Runs on one AA battery for several hours and is waterproof, always works and with the brass constuction, very smooth in operation. Mine is quickly becoming my EDC light.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened

That or the Peak McKinley in Brass. Brass is classy looking, perfect for a lady! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Peak AA 5-LED snow in brass

I have one and it is very classy looking, bright on lithium AA batteries, nice beam color and small in size. Runs on one AA battery for several hours and is waterproof, always works and with the brass constuction, very smooth in operation. Mine is quickly becoming my EDC light.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Freshman

Newly Enlightened

So, the Inova X5 has a 5 hour run time but how many LUMENS?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Inova X5 is not about Lumens, it's about flood- lighting up a medium-sized room, walking down a dark hallway or forest path, etc. It has good light output with that in mind though.

I bought my wife a Gerber Infinity for her purse- so she can have a little light in her car, or if the lights go out in her office, etc. She wouldn't want a bigger light and she doesn't need anything brighter.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recommend Gerber/Infinity Ultra ("old style")---around $20. Nearly indestructible, small, lightwt., 1xAA, ~25 hr. runtime. Not real powerful (less than X5), but plenty for close work, key hole, lighting the path, etc.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

It really depend on the light output that you want. If you are ok with little light output then the Infinity Ultra and the X5 will do. The 'E' Series are good for a bit more output.

-tom

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Unless your wife appreciates a nice light, or you expect to take it back later, just get her a Dorcy AAA. I got one for my wife a year ago, and I still can't convince her to pack it. It now sits mostly unused in a kitchen drawer. It's a rare woman who gives a hoot about them like we do.

Geoff

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened

I could "Macgyver" small hovercraft from wifes purse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. It defies physical laws. Nothing so small contain so much. Wife carries Splashlight Led. Very lightweight, dependable. Not much larger than 123 cell.

Niteowl

Enlightened

Nobody asked "How big is this purse"! Important question. My wife's purse is small but packed. Should see me trying to get the checkbook out! Couldn't get a coincell light in that thing.

Dorcy AAA would be a good starting point to get input from her. If she likes having a light, and you really love her, get her a HDS EDC Basic 60! That'd let her know how much you care.

Mark

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to give another vote for the Q3, for a couple of reasons. It is reasonably small. It doesn't cost much. The output is nice due to the reflector. Running at 500mA, I'll venture a guess of about 40-50 lumens, assuming a T bin luxeon that will put out 65 lumens at 700mA.

What's really nice about the Q3 is that it has a clickie, but doesn't have a momentary on function, although it has a momentary off function. This way you really don't have to worry about accidental activation in the purse. It takes a pretty deliberate press to turn the light on.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Q3 is nice for its size and output. I'd suggest that as well.

Apart from that, depending on how much you're willing to spend, the E1e Winelight, if you can still find it anywhere, is even classier, and I dare say the wine/burgundy colour would make you a superstar with your wife! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Freshman

Newly Enlightened

This is the thing...

I keep one Princeton Tec-40 in her car and I try to keep another one in her purse. They're great lights but she deserves something smaller and brighter. A Tec-40 is rated at 28 Lumens.

So, the replacement has to out shine 28 Lumens.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

The E1e is rated at 15 lumens, but show her the finish of the winelight, and I'm sure she wouldn't care less about the lack of lumens! Its a pretty bright light for its size, I would say. Anyway for 15 lumens i'd say its pretty bright...