Holy Moly!!! Dyson Vacuum!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
We a had your usual +- 100 buck vacuums for a long time.

The living room was vacuumed just the other day.

We just brought home a Dyson DC14 and in about 6 square feet it filled up! The old vacs weren't doing anything!

This didn't feel and doesn't look like a $500 vacuum, but it rocks!

Quiet too!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom really wants one. I tell her to get a vaccuum with a separate motor that follows you around so you're not always pushing it.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most vacuums work exceptionally well while newer, Dysons claim to fame is that it doesn't lose that high power you get from a new machine. It's nice to hear feedback on one of these.
And I think as far as vacuums go it looks very cool.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
You'd think a $500 dollar vacuum would have a light mounted on it.

How about duct-taping a Quantum III on there? Then it would be perfect!

Just kidding! That's no way to treat a top of the line vacuum... Better make that a Surefire U2.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Gee, I wonder if they make a model called the Sphere
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
I don't see the need. I won't argue about suction power and dirt removed. But I mean really...... even after dysoning..... there's still plenty of dirt in there. I would not eat off it after any vacuum.

I bought an SUV of a vacuum about 3 years ago. This thing was huge. Bagless, hepa filter, edge brush, etc. You name it and it had it. It died an early death.

Our new vacuum is a cheapo $89 one. It's bagless, and has great suction power. It's also got the extendable hose, hepa filter, LIGHTS, and this totally cool suction-powered attachment for the hose that adds a power head.

A better vacuum would not let me go longer between cleanings.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love quality made stuff i will get me one some day but i dont even have carpet lol but man i love qulaity

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Have one, it works great. The sucking power is...well it really sucks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
The Dyson is well designed.

The thing I find funny about it is on places like newsgroups, forums (Although not necessarily this one), people who do not own one discount it and say how stupid it is. People who do own it love it.

I'm in the love it camp.

We purchased the Red/Purple "Low Reach" model from Search, who price matched Best Buy +20% of the difference, giving us a heck of a deal on a fantastic vacuum. Now we just need to get the animal tool for stairs and such.

My favorite part is how you can take the whole thing apart, no more clogs in obscure places! My second favorite part is the trigger-release dirt bin. My third favorite part is how easy it is to remove hair from the beater bar because it's flat instead of round!

The 1 design flaw I can see so far is that I'm afraid that I'll eventually break off the lower cord wrap-around going down stairs.

Just washed the filter last month (The sticker that reminds you to do that is genius too!) so I guess that means we're going on month 7 of Dyson ownership.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
The Dyson is well designed.

The thing I find funny about it is on places like newsgroups, forums (Although not necessarily this one), people who do not own one discount it and say how stupid it is. People who do own it love it.

I'm in the love it camp.

We purchased the Red/Purple "Low Reach" model from Search, who price matched Best Buy +20% of the difference, giving us a heck of a deal on a fantastic vacuum. Now we just need to get the animal tool for stairs and such.

My favorite part is how you can take the whole thing apart, no more clogs in obscure places! My second favorite part is the trigger-release dirt bin. My third favorite part is how easy it is to remove hair from the beater bar because it's flat instead of round!

The 1 design flaw I can see so far is that I'm afraid that I'll eventually break off the lower cord wrap-around going down stairs.

Just washed the filter last month (The sticker that reminds you to do that is genius too!) so I guess that means we're going on month 7 of Dyson ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's stupid. And I don't think you were talking directly to me, but I felt inclined to reply.

I'm saying that floors are nasty no matter how well you clean them. Modern carpets will last plenty long enough, even when cleaned with a crappy vacuum.

If you're saying you bought it because you appreciate the design, then ok. I simply cannot see a case being made for "quality of vacuuming" though.

Now, I'm not arguing for bag vacuums. I think modern bagless are a great step forward, suction power is maintained and clean-up is easy.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'd *love* to find a vacuum that could clean my floors in 1 pass. Right now we're vacuuming, then having to run a wet vac to finish up.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vacum once a month

I use a shark cordless sweeper most of the time

I love my sweeper

sure gets the pet hair

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Is the Dyson vacuum the one where the designer made some twenty thousand different prototypes before perfecting the design?

That's nuts - even if it is as amazing as they say it is.

I can appreciate the desire to achieve perfection, but that's just a bit too much "trial and error" design... hire some engineers for crying out loud - they'll finish it in under 100 prototypes, easy!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
UncleFester said:
Gee, I wonder if they make a model called the Sphere
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The ringworld is slightly more plausible.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend has got a Dyson, it picks up pet fur like no other vacuum. Before the Dyson they had a $300 Bissel and it didn't do anything compared to the Dyson.