LS lights, the good and the ugly

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I am now the proud owner of not one but two LS based torches. A Badboy 500 and ARC SLS rev1 second. These two lights are so different from one another in terms of beam you would never know they were related. I suspect many if not most of you here on CPF that have multiple LS based lights know exactly what I am talking about. I read extensively about the Luxeon prior to my purchases and how they varied in color and power but until now I would not have believed the huge difference without seeing it with my own eyes and running some informal test. I am very pleased with both lights but wish I could take the good from both and throw out the ugly. I intentionally left out the word "bad" because IMHO both torches are amazing. I want to relay some of my observations and solicit comments from others about their experience.

Badboy 500, I have had this one for about 3-4 weeks. This is my first LS. I run it in a Mag AA. NX05 optics, and a kroll switch. I use Duracell Alkalines, I tried Lithium's but saw no improvement. I have done some impromptu drop test onto a brick floor and have slightly dented and scratched the MAG case but the light still works great. Very white, with the slightest of green shade around the corona, much whiter than my Scorpion that I used to call super white. Power is impressive, good hotspot, nice spill. I bought it for the power and full regulation. If I would have never purchased another LS based light I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven, but I did. I probably have 90 minutes of 10 seconds to 15 minute use of this light so far and have been nothing but impressed.

ARC SLS rev1 second. I got this light yesterday from another CPF member. It is used but in very good shape. This is an obvious second due to the very green light it puts out. I have the single AA pack , 2 AA pack, 123 pack and the 123 TSP pack. I have already decided I will only use the 123 or 123 TSP with this light unless something I can't foresee comes up. My preference thus far is the 123 TSP. I have not tried it in 2 AA config. because once I saw how green it was with the single AA I turned it off.
I am running Toshiba 123's and Panasonic Lithiums AA's. Very, very green light with a single AA., just very green with the 123 setup. Good throw, green seems to mostly disappear after 15-20 feet.

Last night and tonight I took both lights out back and did some extremely technical testing. I won't get into all the mechanics but let me say I not only used a tall Pine tree to shine into, I also used an Oak. My first impression at close range (less than 10 feet) was how well the BB500 gave me realistic colors. (I keep the BB500 set at it's tightest beam setting all the time) I could not really tell much difference in brightness inside 10 feet between the BB500 and the ARC LS. Once I went to long range testing (over 40 feet) I was shocked. The ARC throw stomped the BB500 and the spill was better. I asked myself, how could this be? (This is the main reason I repeated this testing tonight.) My first thought was, it was only because I had a new 123 in the ARC. The battery condition in the BB500 shouldn't matter being that it's fully regulated. I put in new batteries anyway to be sure, same result, the ARC is kicking butt even with the pea green beam. I went back in and stole a tired 123 from my Scorpion. It was getting pretty dim in the Scorpion and I was about to change it out. I tested again and the green ARC was still the champ at distances of more than 10 feet. (Inside 10 feet they were still tied with the naked eye.) Next thing I did was run the ARC for 40 minutes straight with the tired battery and retested. The BB500 was now slightly brighter (remember this is a battery that I ran in my scorpion for 3 months). I was going to repeat after 15 more minutes but the 123 ran out of juice and went into moon mode. So what do I think I learned? My ARC LS has more power than my BB500 until the last 10-15 minutes of battery life. If you look at it in black and white it makes no sense. How can my 350-400ma ARC with a pea green beam out power my 500ma BB500? I believe I answered my own question at the beginning of the article. The Luxeon varies in power and color so much you wouldn't even know the lights were related. Am I wrong with this conclusion? I don't believe my ARC is one of the 500's and even if it was I would think the pea green beam would hurt it for throw power. Where does this all leave me? (I obviously need more LS's for further study.) I can leave my equipment set up in the backyard until the next time. I not only used the trees, my main target was the vinyl multi colored roof on the kids playscape. I wonder and I don't see why it would be this way but…what if the green LS's produce more power because the green tint is part of the power multiple? I leave it to the experts to comment but my gut feeling is QA and standardization on the Luxeon emitter has a way to go. Bottom line, I love both lights for different reasons. Both have good power and both are keepers.

David

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
David,

First, did you gaet a Cyan Arc LS or is it a White that is too green?? Second, the AA(s) you used in the Arc LS: Alkaline or Lithium??? Alkaline sucks in the LS 1AA, BUT, Lithium AA does just fine.

I have to LS Rev1s. One is a Cyan (er Green) First, and the other is a White SLS. My white is WHITE, no green at all. I use it every night and carry it in 1AA configuration.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may actually want to try it with the 2AA battery pack. That configuration usually works the best, and is the brightest and has the longest runtime as well.

Comparing it to a BadBoy 500, you almost have to go with the 2AA pack for the Arc-LS, as the 1AA pack won't even come close to the current draw a BadBoy 500 gets, let alone the 1AA pack is the weakest configuration of the 3 possibilities. That's probably why you're seeing more green on the 1AA as opposed to using the 123 pack.

Try using the Arc-LS with 2 NiMHs. I find that to be the best combination of brightess, run time, cost effectiveness, and well, more brightness. It's as bright, if not more than 2 Lithium AAs, if you can even imagine that.

My BadBoy 500 with 2x 2.1Ah NiMHs is noticeably brighter than my Arc-LS First with the same battery configuration. As far as throw goes, they're both about the same. With an acrylic ball, my BadBoy 500 even outthrows my E1e and comes really close to matching my E2e's throw!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
In response to the suggestions.
1. My ARC LS is a white
2. I am using Lithium AA's in the ARC

My ARC has MORE throw and spill than my Badboy 500 when using the 123 pack. It would probably be even more pronounced with the 2xAA pack.

My point is the Badboy 500 should out perform the ARC LS white but it doesn't and I suspect it is a result of the variation in performance of the LS emitter. All things being equal, the Badboy should be the beam champ, but it is not. I will try the 2AA pack today. It seems like the more juice you put to the ARC the whiter it gets. I have to end by saying they are both outstanding lights and I couldn't be happier. I believe the weak link in the process is Luxeon.

David

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the LS being the culprit in this case then.

The Luxeons aren't pefect, as of yet. Apparently, the 5Ws are the separating point in terms of controlling shades of color and beam output. In them, you'll probably get better color rendition and better yeilds from the same number of batches.

The Arc-LS you got was probably a 2nd for more than one reason, and that may be because of the beam discoloration. Of course, if my cyan LS taught me one thing, it's that the color cyan carries a whole lot farther in the dark than white light does, so if you happen to have a bluer-greener light versus a bright white light, you may find out more often than not that the b/g will throw a little farther.

But I agree. Both of these are excellent lights.

Zeppert

Enlightened
What is a Badboy500 ? I've never heard of that. I've been searching the web and can not find a connection to that at all.
confused.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
D.D.

I bought that ARC LS back in April. I seem to remember that there was a change in optics after I got the LS. The main difference between the optics was in the beam width...I forget which one is wider!

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the dice where the same in blue output, the greenish color emitter would be dimmer. This is because the phosphor cuts down the efficiency. The more phosphor, the less the efficiency and the more green-yellow the spectrum.

I suspect that the green part in the above example just happens to have a higher flux to start out with.

Also, the amount of phosphor affects the beam spread as well. More phosphor (greener beams) tends to spread the beam out more.

The rev2s firsts have better tint control. Partially because LD yields have improved and partially because I have made our hand sorting more strict. We also have seen a gradual improvement in flux.

We feel 400mA is close to ideal for powering the 1W devices. You will see other manufacturers move this direction as well. Driving the parts at 500mA costs 50% runtime for only 20% brightness increase. Remember, we produced a small number of 500's ourselves.

There is also a greater chance of die failure at the higher currents.

As far as yields on the HD and 5W parts, we have been seeing worse tint and flux than the LD parts. This will improve of course. Still it is sad everytime we see a nice 5W with a greenish tint.

Agressive sorting will minimize the amount of bad luxeons you will see in the Arc firsts.

Peter Gransee

B@rt

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Zeppert:
What is a Badboy500 ? I've never heard of that. I've been searching the web and can not find a connection to that at all.
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Zeppert, and welcome!
The BadBoy is a constant current regulator made by dat2zip. Details can be found here .
More information can be found in this thread.

Hope this helps,

Zeppert

Enlightened
Thanks Bart! I'm just get started with this LED stuff. I use to be STRICKLY an incandescent man. Then I heard about the ArcAAA LE and said, "alright I'll give it a try", and then I made my first LED light purchase. I'm starting to get my feet wet in the LED lights- learning as much as I can. P.S. CandlePowerForums,... flashaholics,... who would have guessed that there would be such a site?! I have showed a couple buddies this site and they loved it. They said, now that's cool. I Look forward to talking to you guys. Thanks