Why is L2 almost same price than L4?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 is regulated, has two stages, and has a higher output with the same 5 watt LED....
I would think the L2 is much more expensive... Is the L4 at all better....

-tom

rycen

Enlightened
I would guess the output would be the same unless they drive the led harder in the L2.The L4 is regulated and smaller the the L2.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Well, the L4 is a little more versatile. It will accept the KL1 head. It will also accept the e2e head and bulb. Finally, the L4 will take a pila 168s cell...... making the cost to run it practically nil.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
The L2 is super long, to much for EDC. If they could kick up the output of the L4 to match that of the L2, it might revive it for another year. It'll be worth it for a 100lm L4! I think right now the L4 is at 65lm

I don't really care about the dual level thing. I carry more than 1 light most of the time anyway. An 1" longer for the L2 just for the low outbut just doesn't do it.

I see your point though, with the L2 being $165, the L4's price should be set at around $135? Weird

Size15's

Flashaholic
I thought the L2 was "super long" and too much for EDC. Since I got one and tried it my mind was altered, changed if you will.

I happen to care a lot about the dual level thing. It is what make it better than the L4 without a doubt for me.

This is where opinions differ - what makes a good EDC.

For me, the L2's length and balance not least when pocketclipped is superb. In my hand it is easier to grip and activate compared to the L4 with it's body which is too short for my grip comfortably. The two-stage switch is great because I don't need to lock it out for EDC and so it's fast and gives me to levels and switching options.

I significantly prefer the L2 over the L4 without a doubt.

Al

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the price: The L2 is longer, uses more material. The switch seems simpler, and cheaper to produce than the L4 clickie. OTOH, both lights are regulated, for the L4 the electronics is build into the head. My guess is that the L4 electronics is slightly more expensive to produce (since smaller). In short, both should be roughly the same price (as they are) from a production cost POV.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the L2. I used to have both but I sold the L4 and kept the L2. It is much more versatile than the L4.

-Keith

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys... I am probably going to get the L2... Not only is it cool looking and has 2 stages, it has the output of an L4!

-tom

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cornkid said:
Thank you guys... I am probably going to get the L2... Not only is it cool looking and has 2 stages, it has the output of an L4!

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll like the L2, I think! If you are worried about the L2 being "super-long", try carrying a mini-mag (2AA) in your pocket for a while. The L2 is essentially the same size. I think people who like the L4 mostly mount the two stage switch on it. Seems like a lot of trouble to save 1" in length, imho. (I think the L4 + 2 stage switch usually works out to be slightly more expensive, too.)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are two people speculating that the L4's time is winding down? Is it failing to sell compared to the other models?

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Why are two people speculating that the L4's time is winding down? Is it failing to sell compared to the other models?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I think folks speculate on this because the two lights seem to overlap so much in price, but the L2 offers more functionality. Since this is such a niche market anyway, it might make sense for SF to keep both of 'em in production for a long time, at least until way better LEDs are available. The L4 is perfectly fine, and if you don't need the lower level of light output, the smaller size makes it a very nice light. I use the lower light level on my L2 a lot, so this doesn't make sense to me - but I bet there are people who only need a wall of light for fairly brief, intermittant periods. For them an L4 is perfect. Whether there's enough people like that to justify keeping two highly similar lights in production only SF knows...

One thing that potentially is an advantage for the L4 is that if SF one day releases an updated KL4 with a newer tech. LED, L4 owners will have an easier time upgrading than L2 owners, I'd think. I don't know anything about SF's future plans, but this doesn't seem completely farfetched to me. It didn't stop me from buying an L2, though.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another advantage for SF keeping the L4 around is that they sell the KL4 head separately which can easily be retrofitted to any E2e (or E1e) body if someone wants to "upgrade" from an incan to an LED.

-Keith

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Both are AWSOME lights. Al is correct, that it's personal preference/experience. The problem I am having with the L2 is this:

I like to carry the light clipped inside my left front pocket. With the L2 there, when I sit in my car it jabs my thigh and it sticks out a tad bit out of my pocket.

Not only it is annoying (I can live with that), but when I exit my car the bezel scrapes the leather seat in the same spot. Over the course of months/years it would definitely put a hole there.

With the L4, its short enough that it does not do this. It's the reason I don't EDC the L2. The low level is not a problem for me because I have an ARC AAA on my keychain.

If I could only get 1 or the other, I would definitely get the L2 because it's brighter and dual stage at only $5 more. The L4 is still awsome however.

GR

Newly Enlightened
The L4 with the 22ohm McE2s (installed in a SF tailcap) and a Pila 168s has cured me for a while (maybe only a short while).