modifying FraenLP internal reflective properties?

greenLED

Flashaholic
After all these years, I still follow the "if else fails, read the instructions" motto. Once again, I think it got me into trouble.

A while ago, I read mike101's instructions on how to fit an NX-05 optic in the head of an Infinity light (here's the link to the post.) Without refreshing my memory I decided to work on this last night. Very briefly, I used increasingly finer grade sandpaper and finished up the job with toothpaste. Now, my problem:

I sanded the top of the optic (to reduce its height). I noticed the optic has (had /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif a slightly convex side that won't fit in the straigh-cone reflector of the Infinity, so I did the only thing a sensible guy like me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif would do: I sanded the *sides* of the optic as well!

- Did I completely destroy the internal reflective properties of the optic by changing it's outside shape? I can see the yellow phosphor reflecting into most of the optic (about 2/3 of the way from the base up). I'm not quite done polishing the optic, so I can't be sure of the final result yet.

By sanding the side of the optic, I also reduced the thickness of the base of the optic and made it hairline (as opossed to the 1mm or so in its unmodified stage). What effect would this have on the reflective properties of the optic?

In short, did I completely mess up this optic? Incidentally, here are some pics.

As a final question, what is the correct way to affix the NX-05 to the reflector of a CMG Infinity using epoxy? I've read anything touching the outside of the optic will mess up its reflective properties. How much epoxy should I use and where should I place it in the Infity's head to reduce the negative effects (if any) on the optic's properties?

*thanks*, everyone, for helping me out!

Edit thread title

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: modifying NX-05 internal reflective properties

greenLED,

From your pictures, that's not an -05, looks like a Fraen. The -05 is completely flat at the front and doesn't have a front hole. It can be shortened from the front down to about 1/4" in length, with the diameter decreasing accordingly. You are right about not letting anything touch the conical part of the optic as it will show in the beam/ reduce output. For your Infinity, the best option (after testing the beam) may be to epoxy it from the front. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Oh, with a high dome LS, the beam seems to me to be improved with the optic spaced up about .075" from the LS.

Larry

greenLED

Flashaholic

Thank you, Larry! You are always helping me out, I really appreciate that.

I found these pics in Mr.Bulk's website (have to scroll down a bit) comparing Fraen (LP?) vs. NX-05. What does the LP stand for? LowProfile? I just noticed the hole in the middle of the Fraen... yup, that's the optic I ground down last night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Oh, well, I guess I'll...hmmm... finish polishing and then post pics of what the beam of a re-shaped Fraen (LP?) looks like. That's what I'll do!

I promise not to touch the sides of any optics after this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I have no experience with the Fraen and I *think* the LP is indeed "low profile." From what I read, they are supposed to offer much improved throw at the expense of spill. You might also consider the IMS SO17XA reflector. They too can be cut down, and the Fire-Fly fans consider them an improvement over the Fraen or -05. You might end-up doing some "Dremel time" inside the head to get it to fit. (Again, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif ) Nice thing about epoxy- it grinds/files easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck!

Larry

mike101

Newly Enlightened
Re: modifying NX-05 internal reflective properties?

Please see my posted reply here.

link

greenLED

Flashaholic

just edited the top post to reflect the fact that I did this to a FraenLP optic, not an NX-05