Why doesn't my nightbuster 4x have a reflector at the bottom?

huh

Newly Enlightened
Why doesn\'t my nightbuster 4x have a reflector at the bottom?

I just received my first led flashlight, a blue nighbuster 4x from glowbug. This one is built like a tank and very hefty in hand. Though, I am a little disappointed by its performance -- it isn't that bright as I have expected. It's just a little bit brighter than my mini-mag and I can't adjust the focus of its beam. I noticed that the bottom of the head, where the 4 LEDs are planted, is not a light-refleting surface. And I think it's obviously a waste of energy. Is it normal on LED flashlights? If yes, why?

Also, the bottom cap is not in a straight line with the body when fastened, is it normal on this flashlight?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why doesn\'t my nightbuster 4x have a reflector at the bottom?

Yes, perfectly normal for LED lights not to have reflectors, infact it is quite uncommon but not unheard of.

A typical LED forms its beam using the lens moulded into its clear resin housing. Most of the light from the die (light emmitting portion) inside is focussed out of the end, with little shining to the sides and rear. An external reflector is therefore often deemed an unnecessary feature.

Of course, every little helps and some light does shine from the sides in some LEDs, and in lights like the tremendous Arc AAA, the single LED sits within a polished reflector. It adds maybe 10% extra brightness...? Not sure of the exact amount, but it is something. For multiple LEDs though, unless each one had its own reflector, distortions and "artifacts" would be introduced into the beam resulting from the fact that none of the LEDs are in the focal point of the reflector. The added bulk of reflectors is not really worth the miniscule gain in brightness, especially in multiple LED lights.

-

It is because of the fixed "projected beam" of regular round LEDs that a practical, focussable LED flashlight has not been avaliable until recently, when the Luxeon LED brought acceptible brightness to a single LED, and conventional flashlight reflectors could be used. And still, such things are rare in the commercial world.

wink.gif
grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

yep, the led will not shoot any (well, maybe such a small amount that you could not begin to measure it) out the bottom, so a reflector isn't neccessary.

i had the 8x, and it was a great light. x'ept for that whole flicker and dead led thing
rolleyes.gif

huh

Newly Enlightened

Originally posted by Rothrandir:
i had the 8x, and it was a great light. x'ept for that whole flicker and dead led thing
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">About the dead led thing, does customer have to send the flashlight back to the factory to have it repaired? Is there anyway to open the head at home?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i sent it back...i didn't try to open it.

i don't think it can be opened
shocked.gif
at least not without ruining the light.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

If that is your first LED light I can see why you are dissapointed in the light output. Small 5mm nichia LEDs like what are in your 4X just don't compete too well with incandescent lights. It sould give you a smoother, more useable beam at close range than a mini-maglite though.

Real bright LED lights use Luxeon Star LED's. Usually just one driven hard enough is as bright as 4 of your nightbuster 4X's put together. But that costs more money too.

huh

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Chris. It helps a lot.