How many people would be interested in this light if it were to exist. Spot Flood

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Inretech 6 led head on a 6 cell Maglight Body. This head would have 6 5watt Luxeons. It would have 3 of them in flood mode with no lenses providing a huge beam. The other three lamps would have lenses making a narrower beam. This would be a light that has the best of both worlds. A bit of reach and alot of flood in one single beam... I personally think it would be a winner for home and car use when a bit of reach is wanted but don't want to miss something sneaking up on ya...lol...that last part was just a joke but I think this might be practical. Im sure the flood lights would contribute some to the hotspot but would provide the real benefit of having a beam without losing spill light. Who all thinks that they should try and make this light?

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Re: How many people would be interested in this light if it were to exist. Spot Flood

...if by "practical" you mean "costs hundreds of dollars, weighs a ton and is bright enough to bleach your hair with."

shipinretech

Enlightened
Re: How many people would be interested in this light if it were to exist. Spot Flood

Well, anything we do with 5W-6D cell is also done with 1W-3D cell for the people who want to pay less, carry less, and only highlight their hair. You'll have to check with your own stylist for InReTech hair care products, but this does interest us.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

From what I've seen, one 5W provides ample light as a flood for close work. Three seems a bit overkill but with no light redirection, might be useful for very wide area flood. Now if you add three more with existing optics, you get three more sources of what I consider a flood beam without significant throw. Man, this is a hell of a flood! Assuming half of the ideal lumen rating actually getting out the head of the flashlight will provide 360 lumens of a flood beam if my math is good. So this is comperable to a beam shaper on a M6.
grin.gif
I think I'll pass.....
grin.gif

- Don

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I think this sounds practical for a battery of lights....No, this would not be a keychain light. I have ARCs' to put on keychains.
I carry Arc-LS and Arc-AAA for Keychain dute. Surefire E2 or 9z for belt duty. This is meant for car and home duty. Thats where this light would shine. Wonders if it would work with rechargable D-cells. would still be interested if it didnt. We need lights for when a charger is not available or prolonged powerfailures. Sometimes storebought batteries are the best option. And shouldnt the car or home based light be brighter than the light you carry on your person?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

ummmm, stadium lighting.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh, I did forget that the 5 watt LS's had a flood beam. Well I guess this would be wide area+flood combo. Perhaps they will get the 5watt LS's down to a narrower beam and make this more desirable. Maybe 3 1watt highdomes and three one watt LS's would be better. How about this if it could be done with the right circuit. Three 1watt LS highdomes with the narrower beam and three 5watt LS's with no optics. Hell of of wide beam and a spot in the middle.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

like a beam shaper on an M6 but using 6D cells rather than 6 123's

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps the thing to do is wait for 5watt luxeons that feature a beam shape similar to a highdome 1watt luxeon. Any thoughts?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh, I am getting silly now. How about when narrow beam 5watt LS's become available. I light that uses two narrow beam, two of the currently available flood beams, and two of the ones with no optics at all. An Area, Flood, Beam light. LOL....this would be fun.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

how bout using one as flood and five as spot?
that will be better i guess provided the statement from Mc Gizmo:
" From what I've seen, one 5W provides ample light as a flood for close work. Three seems a bit overkill but with no light redirection, might be useful for very wide area flood"
is correct in that the light from one luxeon enough to flood.
5 at the side while one at the center for flood-ing purpose

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think have 3 5 watters in a triangle formation, and having Red Green and Blue, would be a fantastic idea. 3 seperate switchs/dimmers. What colour do you want? On and adjust the appropriate one.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

dont think this would do what I am looking for...would like to reach of a normal flashlight and have flood at the same time in one beam.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

was just thinking. remember the movie Pitch Black...This would be the light for the job. I long beam to antogonize those creatures and a wide flood if they try and flank you.

shipinretech

Enlightened

Regretably, alien/supernatural attacks are not covered as part of "reasonable use". If attacked by aliens or supernatural creatures, do NOT return your InReTech products. Do not send us videos of "projects" or samples of the ichor that melted the lens of the flashlight. Above all, do not attempt to bring aliens or supernatural creatures to our testing facility so we can develop ichor resistant products. Our offices are in an alien/supernatural creature free zone and we don't want to lose our lease.

We would like to remind you to never summon up anything that you cannot put down.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

well the creatures on Pitch Black might not acually be aliens...they might have been natives...the humans were the aliens.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 2 cents here
smile.gif

Since a flood is easier to achieve than getting a long-throw spot, I'd vote for using a beamshaper-type arrangement as well and just concentrate on getting a good spot first.

All else being equal, we all know white LEDs don't do as well as the cyans, greens and some shades of blue in the long-throw area. And for most practical purposes, accurate color rendition becomes less important than outright visibility for long-distance viewing.

So for a nice combo light, I just opt for 2 luxeons in a flashlight head - a cyan/green 5W (for spot mode) and a 5W white (to be run simultaneously with the cyan 5W for flood mode edit: AND spot mode too...).
Having seen the McGuchie Greenie aka Terra Destroyer in action personally, I can tell you a green 5W puts out a LOT of light and throws like crazy!

The white 5W is thrown in ONLY to fill in the gaps in the spectra left by the cyan/green and to ensure that all colors would be visible for good all-round utility (like map-reading) in close-to-medium distances.

The light would be set up primarily as a spotlight and "flood" mode is solely "activated" by attaching a diffuser (eg. beamshaper).

The 5W cyan would sit in an optimal reflector arrangement and it would be adequate for the white 5W to be inset somewhere else within the same reflector (similar to the A2). If possible the white 5W would be collimated (acrylic ball maybe) even within its inset position (yes - this means you might need a turbo-head sized reflector).

Its by no means ideal, but IMHO, the above design could yield a compact (M2-size if you like 123s, 2C Mag if you prefer regular batteries) and extremely useful combination.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Six 5 watt Luxeon Stars!? If you run them at specs, that's 4.2 amps! Wowza!
shocked.gif
Apart from that, it's a cool idea.
grin.gif
icon14.gif

The battery companies will like us once again.

I was thinking three 5 watts with optics might be a nice light. If you can get them to run at 700mA each, that would be 360 lumens. How much more do we need than that? My wife complains when I click on the 5 watt cyan NexStar, and it's only around 120 lumens, possiby a bit more as it is overdriven. Hey, if you're at a night time football game and the stadium lights go out, you can use your light as a backup.
grin.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking size would not be a factor for this light. Remember, you are carrying an Arc-LS, and Arc-AAA, and an E2 on your person. This light is the home car light where the size consideration is can you carry it comfortable for a little while since your house or car is really carrying it.