My Mini Mini Mag

Eric_M

Enlightened
After much reading I decided to try and construct one myself.

Here's my "Mini Mini".

Mini2.jpg

Mini3.jpg

Obviously a cut down Mini Mag.

14500 Lithium-Ion rechargeable.

BadBoy 500 from the Shoppe with a 3W LED.

IMS 17mm Reflector.

UCL Lens (I've got a source /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Kroll.

I guess the only thing that makes mine stand out a little is a pocket clip.

Thanks to all whose ideas were shared and thanks for letting me share my work.

Eric

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
Looks good. Have a go at fitting an IMS 20mm reflector in it. Takes some filing and fitting. However it will go in after a bit. IMHO the 20mm looks and work better in a MMag. Try it you won't regret it.

cheers,
zwf

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful. Just Beautiful. Is that clip from an HDS or an Arc?. Can you do such modification for my normal minimag please?

jtice

Flashaholic
great work Eric, they make great little lights with the 14500 cell.
Clip was a great addition.
Where did you get the drill bit that small?
i bought screws and a tap, and some clips,,, but cant find a bit that small /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
acusifu said:
Great looking light, the clip rocks. Where is the sign up list ?

[/ QUOTE ]
lol I would expect one too!

Eric_M

Enlightened
Thanks everyone. Right after I posted this my hard drive decided to "fail". Looks like I know what I'll be doing today.

The drill used to tap the holes was a #36 for a 6-32 thread. Not too small, just a little smaller than a 7/64". Take a look at www.use-enco.com for some great deals on bits.

What size screws do you have for your clip?

As far as adding clips to other mags, let me talk to my "source" and see if I can get these on a regular basis. If so, I'll see what I can offer.

Thanks again for the positive comments.

I'll post once I've heard more about the clips.

Eric

Eric_M

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ZuluWhiskeyFox said:
Looks good. Have a go at fitting an IMS 20mm reflector in it. Takes some filing and fitting. However it will go in after a bit. IMHO the 20mm looks and work better in a MMag. Try it you won't regret it.

cheers,
zwf

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I looked at that when I was out visiting my brother and it looked like there was no way it would fit. Just how much "persuation" is needed to make it fit? Could you pose a picture of the modifications needed so I could get an idea? I've heard of people doing this for a while now but no photos.

Thanks,

Eric

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Eric_M said:
[ QUOTE ]
ZuluWhiskeyFox said:

cheers,
zwf

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I looked at that when I was out visiting my brother and it looked like there was no way it would fit. Just how much "persuation" is needed to make it fit? Could you pose a picture of the modifications needed so I could get an idea? I've heard of people doing this for a while now but no photos.

Thanks,

Eric

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm at work right now so can't right now. Busy tonight. Will try to post some pics tomorrow night of my 20mm in a mmag.
To make it fit:
-cut off and file smooth the three legs
-file down the outside dia. up near the large end until it seats as deep as you would like it. It must go deep enough to actuate the on off feature. It will get there it just needs to go on a bit of a diet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-file down the large end to length to get the bezel on good

Like I said in my first post it takes some filing and fitting. However the effort is worth it.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
OK here they are a few pics as promised.
Pic 1 is beside a Lambda MiniPro Pill and Mini Mag head.
20mm-01.jpg

Pic 2 is sitting on top of MiniPro Pill.
20mm-02.jpg

Pic 3 is as seen inside a head.
20mm-03.jpg

Pic 4 is again inside a head.
20mm-04.jpg

Pic 5 is the obligatory beam shot from aprox. 4 ft from wall. Hot spot is smaller than that of a 17mm. Also more intense. As a result better throw.
20mm-beamshot.jpg

For some reason the last pic looks quite pixelated. I guess that happened when I shrunk the images so a smaller file size? Any way you get the idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
Nice, thanks.

I wonder if boring out the Mini Mag's head a little would help? I'll have to take a look.

Thanks Again,

Eric

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a minute, aren't those clips from the HDS EDC lights?

Eric_M

Enlightened
Here's another trick to center the 17mm reflector. I've seen a couple how-to's using 2 o-rings and I've never gotten it to work solidly.

You'll need a # 017 o-ring and a UCL lens (it's thicker than the stock poly)

Place the o-ring on a flat surface and press the reflector down on it. It's just the right size to stay around the rim. If you look at the head of the MiniMag you'll see there is a taper at the opening that the o-ring/reflector sits in nicely. As you tighten the retaining ring the thicker UCL lens presses the reflector/o-ring into the taper. This squeezes the o-ring around the rim of the reflector holding it in very solidly.

This has worked better for me and pretty much guarantees a nicely centered reflector.

Try it, you'll like it.

Eric