8mm solitaire mod - edited with pics and howto

teststrips

Enlightened
I started by doing this mod with the 26K mcd 5mm leds out there. Being not enough for me, I bought one of these 8mm led's Size comparison:
5v8mm.jpg

Here are my keys. I've got both my photon freedom and my new modded solitaire on there.
keys.jpg

And the typical explode view. (the MN21 cell was in my pocket as a backup for about a week, and got really wasted)
explode.jpg

And a beamshot of unmodded solitaire - tightest focus, 5mm 26K mod, 8mm mod. The 8mm is closer to white, and to the eyes it looks brighter, but my camera isn't as discerning.
beam1.jpg

I have some of those rechargeable AAA li-ion batteries on the way, to replace the MN21 batteries. I will probably do a runtime test on the mn21 batteries, but I need new cells first.

Look down a few posts for a quick how-to. I've documented my centering jig, since it'll probably be of use to someone else at some point.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 8mm solitaire mod

I did the original mod as well using a 26,000 mcd 5 mm.

I was extremely happy with the amount of light, but its runtime on a MN21 Duracell is about 10 minutes.

I love this combination ,size, but runtime is no good.

teststrips

Enlightened

wow, 10 mins on a cell, that's a little weak. I'm assuming that I'll have even less runtime due to the brightness difference between the 5mm and 8mm diodes. I wouldn't say it's much brighter in the hot spot, but the hot spot is like 3-5 times bigger. When I get to wal-mart for some fresh cells, i'll do some beamshots, and I'll time runtime with a stopwatch and eyeball until dimmer than a CountyComm $1 keychain light.

One question on the Li-Ion cells (10440) cells. If I can run this led direct drive on the MN21 cell (12v) because of the battery's internal resistance, would the 10440 cells be any different.. would I need to add a resistor, or should I be OK?

AW

Newly Enlightened

You 'll need a resistor for running 10440 cells. The max. forward current of these 8mm LEDs is rated at 150mA / 25C.

mike101

Newly Enlightened

I suggest using 10mm 13Lumen LED form the same seller. The 10mm Led will fit the Solitaire tight.

teststrips

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mike101 said:
I suggest using 10mm 13Lumen LED form the same seller. The 10mm Led will fit the Solitaire tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never even noticed the bigger LED. Well once I do runtime and pics, i'll just have to wait a few weeks b4 trying the 10mm led. My wife is already pretty darn upset with me over spending most of my saturday working with flashlights yesterday. She just doesn't understand my facination.

teststrips

Enlightened

For some this doesn't really need a how-to, but I thought I'd share my method. The 8mm LED was a lot bigger than the normal sized LEDs, but still not big enough to fit comfortably in the solitaire. I didn't think the reflector was going to hold up for drilling out, so I decided to make up a self centering jig.
jig.jpg

it's quite simple actually. I first used a holesaw to create holes in my plexi.
holesaw.JPG
plexiholes.jpg

I then put the holes that I cut out onto a screw, sandwitched in between 2 nuts. I then got out the power tools. I spun the jig in my drill while dremeling the plexi. Be careful not to tighten the chuck too tight which might ruin the threads of the screw, making it impossible to remove the nuts.
tools.jpg

All of this made a nifty little round piece of plexi that fits over the LED near the top and near the bottom, so that it stays center and aligned perfectly.
led.jpg

You can also see in this pic how horible I am with soldering. The last bit of the mod was to cut off the original legs which were too thick to put into the solitaire's switch assy, and replace them with the smaller leads that were cut off my 26K mcd LED.

All-in-all I am extremely satisfied with this mod... I can't wait till my rechargable batteries get here... of course I have to figure out how I'm going to add a resistor to the works b4 then.

mike101

Newly Enlightened

Good job! I was looking for something to put on the 8mm LED in my mod. You show me a way of custom made.

FYI, you can grind the leads of 8mm LED to fit using your Dremel instead of replace them with those from 26k mcd LED. But be careful the heatsink while grinding. I burnt one 8mm LED.

teststrips

Enlightened

I actually tried to bend the original legs (not grided) on one of my 8mm's, and actually broke the leg off, and cracked a chunk out of the glass. Amazingly when I shoved the leg back in I was actually able to get the thing to work again, but it's flaky.

I will have to try grinding the original leads next time. I'm unfort down the 2 LED's I baught, and have been watching ebay for another deal

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

the 10mm led I belive if these are the same ISP leds, has a super wide viewing angle. It won't throw like the 8mm. I belvie that is the only difference between the 2.

teststrips

Enlightened

to get my reflector (shiny part) out of my solitaire's head, i had to bend in several tabs on it so it could be pushed back. The lens (clear plastic) should just fall out, or at least come out with very little effort