Difference in all the Luxeon Leds?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I am asking if there is a page or if someone can explain in brief what kind of luxeon led I want? What is the difference between the luxeon III Lamb and luxeon batwing star emitters, etc. Which part number do I want if i want to order some with specific binning codes like TWOJ? Thanks.

Longbow

Enlightened
Your asking for a thousand word essay. You'd be better served to research for a couple of weeks and then ask questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you can "order" a bin code, either, for the most part. If you wanted something particular like a TWOJ, you'd be best off asking for one in the BST forum here.

In brief, what do you want to do with this LED? Do you have a specific application you want to use it in? This would really help in any suggestions I'd be able to give you. .

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mainly it is to be used in flashlights? I've researched a little more and want to know if the star emitters include the optics? The plastic done around the die? What would the part number be of a Luxeon Star with bin code TWOJ sold in the forums be?

LEDependent

Enlightened
Just go to the Lumileds website and check out the Luxeon product line. Like ACMarina just said, you can't order a particular bin - you're better off asking on the B/S/T forum.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
In flashlights, like are you wanting to replace the bulb in a Maglite? Just flashlights in general, or are you looking to do a specific model?

Generally, the optics or reflector are purchased seperately, so you're able to make things however you want. I'm not exactly sure what the "Plastic done around the die" part means, can you expand upon that idea?

Basically, if you want a TWOJ, just ask for a TWOJ. It's not like going to the store and saying "I want a Craftsman 3/8'' socket, part number 11243-2234." They don't just sit down and make a thousand TWOJs, I don't think. I'm guessing it's like making a lot the other electronic pieces. They're mass produced, but due to variations in the manufacturing process they can come up as all kinds of different things. There's probably a nice way for the manufacturer to sort them, hooking them up to meters or something. You'll find if you buy many of the lights out there, the Luxeon range in the EXACT SAME LIGHT will be pretty vast. We call it the "Luxeon Lottery", because you buy a light not really knowing what you're going to get. My QIII, for example, has a whiter hue than my Surefire L4. It's all in the luck for the most part, unless you buy a light where the luck has been taken out of it. These lights are usually fairly custom and highly prized amongst collectors, and are thus fairly expensive. .