Need arc aaa tuitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

code09

Enlightened
I just accuired several arc aaa's, but i noticed on some of them, they're each different.
On a few of them, at the top of the ring, it says "Arc flashlight LLC LED AAA"

But on another few of them, it says "ARC" and thats it...

On ebay, i have also seen ones with arc written ACROSS the BODY of the arc.

So my question is, are there differences in these? and are some more rare/worth more than others?

Thanks for your help in advance
Moses

nexro

Enlightened
If I am not mistaken, the one that says ARC is the latest one before Arc was gone. Also, I think they implemented a new IC for the AAA head in this version.

Previously it was the "Arc flashlight LLC LED AAA" inscription along the body lengthwise. And the older ones with "Arc flashlight LLC LED AAA" at the top of the ring was the one I got when I first joined CPF.

The significance of them? I have no idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

code09

Enlightened
Thanks nexro!

Anyone know the significance and value of them? Perhaps CY? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
They're all just different versions along the way. Can't say that any are going to be "worth" more than the others. The ones that will be worth the most are the ones you use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

simbad

Enlightened
I think the last ones (ARC and ARC-P engraving) on top of the barrel are "guaranteed" against the famous intermittant problem,IMHO, I ve sent two Premiums to the factory before close for replacement because of that issue and Peter sent me two brand new ARC-Ps and they work flawlessly.

simbad

Enlightened
So, it was a lottery until they close the company then. One of my AAAs lives in my keychain since last september, looks very used, droped into the sea a few times, lost the foam pad, the led has scratches and still working like the first day. Tha "other" one is still in the package /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

cy

Flashaholic
What derrell said,

Very few ARC AAA's with chip problems actually got shipped. Most instances of intermitten problems I've seen are actually caused by bad contact between board to head and/or battery leakage.

AAA sized batteries seems to leak more than any other alk cells. don't know if that's true or not, but that what it seems like.

it doesn't take but a tiny leak to cause corosion and contact problems. film can be almost invisible. take a flat bladed screw driver and scrape post.

one of the few weakness in ARC AAA design is the negative battery post. note it's not a flat post, but are concave. This means only a tiny edge actually makes contact with cell.

ARC AAA with chip problems can be fixed by using AAA sized li-ion cells. I've had no problems over-driving ARC AAA and ARC AA's with li-ion so far. your mileage may veri..

using li-ion in ARC AAA with suspected chip/contact problems will usually fire up and run fine. brightness of course greatly increases. Have no idea of what this does to longivity, but if you are having problems already..

need to do more testing with regular ARC AAA to see if using li-ion in ARC AAA reduces life.

most of my testing with li-ion cell is with 14500 and ARC AA. they both use the same circuit, so tests should be valid to both.

This is my first post about using li-ion with ARC AAA & AA. need to post results in separate thread.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Have no idea of what this does to longivity, but if you are having problems already..

need to do more testing with regular ARC AAA to see if using li-ion in ARC AAA reduces life.

most of my testing with li-ion cell is with 14500 and ARC AA. they both use the same circuit, so tests should be valid to both.

This is my first post about using li-ion with ARC AAA & AA. need to post results in separate thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriends sister has been running an aaa head on two regular aaa's for quite some time now. (Head glued to a cheap incan penlight's body) It's brighter than on one aaa but she's only running it for seconds at a time. Since the aaa is already driving the LED well above spec I'd be very worried about feeding it with 4,2V from a fresh li-ion. Anyway, as you said, if you already have problems....

Chrisse

Status
Not open for further replies.