Help me choose a Maglite mod please, specs inside.

The_virus

Enlightened
I'm looking to modify a AA Mini Maglite from stock, to something grander. I've searched this and the LED forum for hints and I need help narrowing the field I guess you could say. Many mods are out there, but it's hard to keep track of just which ones will do exactly what I want.

Here's what I want from my Mag AA...it must
- continue to use AA batteries
- use a minimum 5mm LED bulb, preferably a Luxeon however
- be a "drop-in" type of mod, no soldering or cutting/gluing required
- be focused into a spot

It would be nice if my Mag also...
- retained its ability to focus the beam, I can let this feature go though if the spot is already tight, so I won't have to focus anyway.
- had the ability to revert back to stock, again...I'm flexible on this, since I can use a Mag as a guinea pig and if I don't like it, they're easy to replace.

So, the candidates I am currently aware of are the Terra Lux Mini Mag mod which puts a Luxeon into the Mag, and the MadMax(+)? which does the same (?) I eliminated the BadBoy because from what I understand it's more of a difuse light for a broader area flood effect. Oh yes, and those Diamond bulbs I've seen, I don't know what the real difference between them and the Terra Lux mods are, but I know what they are.

I'm also willing to look at other lenses if I need to, in order to achieve a tight spot. I could also see a Kroll switch in my future, do any mod kits include them? The Terra Lux kit includes a new reflector, so it's my current top-ranking prospect.

Oh yes, one last thing, the supplier must ship to Canada, most over the internet do (although sometimes they use a high-priced 'worldwide' shipping method), but just in case, I'll mention this.

Basically I've read and read, and there are a lot of names commonly used on this forum for varous mods, but I don't know which ones are relevant to my goal. Any help?

baylisstic

Enlightened
The diamond is only for regular mag, not the minimag.

I have the ministar2. It's bright and a little focussable. You can focus it from a wide spot to flood, but you can't get a tight spot. I have the side emitter version. I think the newer one with high dome are better. The only thing I don't like about it is the beam quality isn't the best, probaby cuz of the side emitter.

Lambda is currently making a 3 watt minimag drop with. It's probably the BEST minimag drop-in IMHO, but there's a long waiting list and it can take a while before you can get yours.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Help me choose a Maglite mod please, specs ins

[ QUOTE ]
baylisstic said:
You can focus it from a wide spot to flood, but you can't get a tight spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I understand this. My TerraLux lights up as a tight spot, which I can "diffuse" (for lack of better term) into a broad beam; I also have the SE version. I find that defocusing the beam creates lots of artifacts in the beam, so I always keep it "focused" (as soon as the light turns on). The TerraLux is the easiest drop-in of the two you're considering.

I would go for the MadMax Plus (MM) or the BadBoy (BB). The beam depends on the type of optic or reflector you use; MM and BB are the names of the electronics boards. For the tightest beam use a Fraen LP optic, although the NX-05 will also work. It's a little tricky to get them centered just right, but it's possible. You may also need to file the little tab on the optic (you'll see when you get one). Some people prefer to use a kroll with the sammies, I don't feel the need. You need to buy one separately from the Shoppe.

There are different "flavors" (current output) of sammies from which to choose from. Brighter means less runtime. Couple a BB with a Lux III and you'll get more output than the same BB with a Lux I.

Hope this helps!

I almost forgot, aside from Lambda's drop-in, you may want to check InReTech's drop-ins too. I haven't used one but I'm sure a search will yield tons of useful info.

jaids

Enlightened

What I recomend from my personal tastes is a nexgen750 sandwich with IMS 17mm reflector and a UCL or mineral glass lens.

The 17mm reflector has the most versital beam with a luxeon III that I have ever used.

The Nexgen sandwich will run very efficiently and cool(temperature) and be very bright(conservative 45 lumens minimum out the front end, all of my sandwiches at this current look close to G2).

The UCL is for efficiency.

Now about your questions(misconceptions?)

The badboy and madmax will not diffuse any more or less with the same LED. What could have caused that diffusion you read about somewhere was most likely due to a different sized reflector being used.

The kroll is really just a nice add-on if you do not like the original switch. The sandwiches function similarly to the original switch.

Hope this helps,

Jay

AuroraLite

Enlightened

I would second the Nextgen Badbay choice.

By far it is truly my favorite in terms of LED bulb replacement for Minimag(brightness vs runtime). Whether the light is flood(diffused) or spot, mainly will depend on the reflector; although the design of the LED will contribute some factor to it as well.

Also, what you do hear about Madmax+(MM+), MM lite, Badbay, Badbay Nexgen are all 'sandwiches' either built by Sandwich Shoppe or modders(which gotten their parts from the former).

Personally, I owe and use both the NG BB 750 and 500. Based on the beamshots that I have taken approx every 10 min, while having both lights constantly on with alkaline batteries, BB NG 750 yields 50 mins of fairly constant light output and BB NG 500 gives out about 1 hr and 40 min likewise. Of course, in reality, one most likely use the light intermidiately, and the runtime will last longer.

The light output difference is noticeable with bare eyes at the beginning(ceiling bounce test) but not as much after 30 min of constant use.

Another real good deal is the current MM lite TW0J, which totally drains the batteries when it is done, and gives out great light. It is not as 'regulated' as BB NG but a real good catch at the current price now.

If I were to recommend the best bang for buck, I'd say MM lite TW0J and/or the BB NG 500 for their balance between brightness and runtime.

Oh, forget to mention--the best part of these replacement, besides it is reversible and takes only 2 min to do, is to see a person picks it up, look straight down the business end, and turn it on...that just always make my day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_virus

Enlightened

Thanks a lot for the suggestions mates! I will look into the sandwiches mentioned specifically in more detail. I'm not too worried about runtime since I'll still be using AA cells (one of the reasons why I still want to use them as opposed to 123 cells). I'll weigh pros and cons alongside cost and hassle in shipping it north of the 49th etc to make my choice...of course we're probably all familiar with the unofficial motto of the flasholic...

"When in doubt, just get both!"

jaids

Enlightened

If you get a nexgen, get nihm rechargables,as they can have high amounts of current drained from them more efficiently than alkalines or lithium batteries.

!DO NOT! use nihm rechargables with the madmax as it can kill the cells. Use alkaline or lithium batteries.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened

Any of the sandwiches from the Shoppe will fit your criteria. The main difference between the madmax and the babboy are: the madmax is regulated at the input or battery draw (MM lite being 500ma from battery and MM+ being 1amp from battery) the output from MM is wide open. The babboys on the other hand are regulated at the output. What ever number follows the BB is the ma's to the lux. The choice of vf on the lux will effect the runtime on BB. While the choice of vf on the lux with a MM will effect the current that the lux sees. Either way both are drop in's.
What effects the beam will be your choice of optics or reflector. NX-05 has a definate hot spot with side spill. Frean has all light into spot with no side spill. Other than filing off the little tab either of NX-05 or Frean are drop in. Personlly I prefer a reflector. Kind of like the NX-05 but much more effecient. The IMS17 mm is a drop in with some o-rings to center. My favorate is the IMS20mm. However it takes some filing and fitting to make it fit into a minimag head.
Lambda's kits are a great deal however you'll likely wait for a while to get one. The waiting list is long. I recently built one or his DIY kits. It turned out good. There is some mighty small and delicate soldering involved. Not for the soldering challenged.

If you go with a sandwich from the Shoppe bare in mind that generally speaking they are boards that need to be assembled with emitter board and lux. Some or the sandwiches are available completed. I believe he will also assemble your components for you if you want. For a fee of course.

On the BabBoy front there is now a Next Gen version which is more efficient than the earlier BadBoy. The NG runs noticably cooler. So less energy wasted in heat.

So having said all that. I recommend: (based on your criteria)
-BB/NG 500 or 750
-with a T**J binned lux
-Frean optic
-anti-reflective coated crystal lens

You'll be quite happy.
cheers,
zwf

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened

i use a terralux, but replaced the side emitter with a lambertian and enhanced the back end of the reflector a bit (sharper edge towards the emitter)
i also milled down the base of the led about 0,4-0,5mm to allow the reflector to go a bit further back
now the beam is spotless and TIGHT =)

i also took out the front part of the original bulb socket and plugged in the terralux directly, (with a piece of plastic as spacer) to allow the head to screw down further, this does nothing for the beam, but for a slightly lower profile