uv bulb

aclee2101

Newly Enlightened
I have a cheap spot light from like Home Depot or something anyways i am looking for uv lamp for it so I can make it a blacklight to search for scorpions in the desert, anyways I figure someone around here would know where to get some

THANKS!!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you are looking for LEDs? I dont know too much about UV, but I think you should be posting in the LEDs section.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be a problem.

UV replacement lamps are real expensive and many are fluorescent, not incandescent which is why you'd need for that "cheap: spotlight. Fluorescents tube lamps give off more UV than incandescents.

The one I have is a fluorescent tube type small and cost me $80. When I purchased it I say a lantern battery powered spotlight with a large diameter spotlight type bulb it was in the $375 range.

Have you checked the Rock&Mineral collecting web sites?

GregR

P.S. Powerful UV at night when the eye is dark adjusted could be very bad. Be sure you take precautions against UV exposure, you don't want to end up nearly blind.

aclee2101

Newly Enlightened
ok well then does anyone know if I can find a good portable blacklight set up?

fordag

Newly Enlightened
Rather than find a UV bulb have you considered trying a UV shortpass filter? www.edmudoptics.com sells all sorts of filters. For example a 500nm shortpass filter which has a transmission band from 250nm-480nm Place a filter like this on a Surefire xenon bulb light and it should work for you.

David

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I recently bought a 12 UV LED flashlight from ebay. Powered by a single AA battery. I don't remember exactly but it was around $15.00 Wave length is somewhere around 395nm. Don't know what is required for your scorpions. We don't have them critters here in Canada. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap option can be to find one of the cheap 4AA powered fluorescent lanterns (the one using a 4W linear tube), and simply replace the tube with a BLB version. This is a quick and easy way to get a pretty large amount of UV (~360nM). Cost for this for me to get would be as follows:

Lantern: £4.99
F4BLB tube: £4.99 and a set of batteries. Only actual modification I tend to do to the lantern itself is the removal of the plastic lens, as it cuts out a fair amount of the UV emission. It is however a flood, so I'm not sure how appropriate this would be for your application.