GPS or mapping software

matt_j

Enlightened
If lets say you have a PDA and than you just want to have a database of every street in your city (sort of like a Mapquest off line) all you have to do is buy one of those fancy maping softwares right? I was thinking about something like that but without use of gps. Just a map.

Got any recommendations?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
MS "streets and trips" provides the maps without a GPS. You can download the map into a PDA. The last time I looked, it would not create routes between two points, but would store a route created on a PC. It takes a lot of memory to do a large city.

Daniel

gessner17

Enlightened
Hm...Garmin 60C GPS is cool, color screen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fluorescent

Enlightened
MapQuest.com lets you download maps and directions to a PDA using AvantGo software...
Like mentioned, most PDAs won't have enough memory to store all streets in a big city.

matt_j

Enlightened
Yeah but PDAs have memory cards and some software is compatible with that. Basically what I'm looking for is this. Somebody tells me to go to 1234 Main St. I punch in 1234 Main Street and it shows me exactly where it is with small map of surrounding areas.

Matt

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I just bought a Zire 31 for my wife and along with that some software, I think it maybe what you are looking for (software wise) if your PDA is compatable with the software.
Directions On The Go
No phone or GPS needed. I havn't recieved mines yet though, just ordered yesterday.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have not yet been here, you should probably drop by and look around: http://gpsinformation.net

Another option would be to look for a small Garmin or other GPS unit (like Magellen) and their street map software. You can get autorouting and color GPS functions combined with a map (no free updates for map data) that will run on 2 AA batteries, for 25-35 hours, for about $350-$400 (Garmin Etrex Legend Color 24MBytes with map software for US. GPS $400 - rebate $50 + US map data $105). Of course, there are more expensive units out there too...

If you already have a PDA--a new GPS may not be the best deal for you--but a purpose built GPS (pretty water, sun and drop resistant) is pretty neat to have.

-Bill

jtice

Flashaholic
First you will want to check out this free software.
http://jdmcox.com/

it does "ok" topo maps and Areial Photos !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have also thought about doing this,
If you have a large card for your PDA you should be fine.
I am not sure of what software works best with the PDA though.

Are there any FREE programs out there, that let you load a SEARCHABLE database to the PDA?

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BB said:
If you have not yet been here, you should probably drop by and look around: http://gpsinformation.net

Another option would be to look for a small Garmin or other GPS unit (like Magellen) and their street map software. You can get autorouting and color GPS functions combined with a map (no free updates for map data) that will run on 2 AA batteries, for 25-35 hours, for about $350-$400 (Garmin Etrex Legend Color 24MBytes with map software for US. GPS $400 - rebate $50 + US map data $105). Of course, there are more expensive units out there too...

If you already have a PDA--a new GPS may not be the best deal for you--but a purpose built GPS (pretty water, sun and drop resistant) is pretty neat to have.

-Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill I have a Rino 120 for my gps use... I work in the area where we get calls into other ambulances assigned grids when they are busy especially on friday and sat nights. I know brooklyn but I can't be familiar with every little street. So instead of searching for it on the map I would rather punch in the cross streets or addy and get the map of the streets. I know how to get to the proximity of the area I just want to know the exact pinpoin location.

Matt