What's the brightest single 1 watt LS package?

dirobesh

Enlightened
What\'s the brightest single 1 watt LS package?

Having recently bought an ARC LS rev. 2 and an E2e+KL1 I'm keen to buy the brightest LS flashlight possible.
Possessing only the manual skills of a one-armed baboon wearing a boxing glove, it would have to be a complete unit, or at least EASILY assembled.
Ideally it would also in the 2 lithium or 2 aa battery format.
Would it be worth it to buy a E2C Surefire Adaptor from Dat2zip and a KL3 for my E2e, or would the increase in output be too little to justify the expense? (as if that's ever stopped me before....)
Thanks.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the brightest single 1 watt LS package?

Use your prehensile baboon tail -- you have tools the rest of us can only dream of.

My KL3 is considerably brighter than my KL1. I find that my hand is cramped on the backside of my E2 behind the E2C adapter in the configuration you suggest. When I receive my Doug Speck UBH I will more comfortably run my KL3 on a more balanced light that doesn't feel like it will slip out of the front of my hand.

I like my KL1 on my E2. Brightness is maybe 80% that of the KL3.

rlhess

Enlightened

My KL3 is the brightest Luxeon Star that I own. My second brightest is a Lambda Ill Pill that on fresh AA alkalines will almost hit 300 candela. The KL3 almost hits 400, my Illuminator runs about 250 and my Arc LS (with WriteRight) runs about 160. It's over 200 without the WriteRight, but the lens is not replacable so it's a good tradeoff in my opinion.

I think fresh batteries in a Mr. Bulk LGI gets you a lot more light.

Cheers,

Richard

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I know of these 2 lights, they're the same thing with different heads & bodies. The E2e with the KL3 would be a small body light with a too huge head. They both have the LS lamp & both driving it with 2 123 batteries. TX

dirobesh

Enlightened

The consensus seems to be that the KL3 + adaptor and the E2e isn't a good combo. Which 2 cell flashlight would anyone recommend? If the KL3 really is approx 20% brighter I'm definitely going to have to get one.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a KL3 that is dimmer than my brightest KL1:( I think you take a crap shoot when you're dealing with LS's right now. I also got three other KL1's that are just as bright (or dim) as the KL3. I think the KL3 is kind of a waste for the extra 2 lumens claimed by Surefire. 2 extra lumens is not visible, maybe measurable by a lightmeter, but not visible to the average eye. Just my opinion. FWIW, the Arc LS is a better light for EDC. The KL3 is a freakin' monstrosity.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Posted measurements have shown:

5W 3*123 4700 Lux at one meter (per Mr. Bulk)
LGI's 500 to 800 lux at one meter
KL3 500 lux at one meter
KL1 400 lux at one meter
Badboy500 275 lux at one meter
Badboy400 250 lux at one meter

My early LGI's seem marginally brighter than my KL3, but that may be because they have none of the KL3's purple tint. Mr. Bulk certified them at 500 and 520 lumen, respectively.

My 2 ARC Hybrids 500 mA are just dimmer than my KL1

My LSI direct-drive QH2 on 2 @ lithium AA's seems almost as bright as my ARC's. Lambda measured this light at 420 Lux.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Originally posted by dirobesh:
The consensus seems to be that the KL3 + adaptor and the E2e isn't a good combo. Which 2 cell flashlight would anyone recommend? If the KL3 really is approx 20% brighter I'm definitely going to have to get one.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've tried the KL3 on various 2x123 Surefire bodies. I rejected the E2e + E2C for the same reason as Lemlux, and the metal bodies + KL3 felt unnecessarily heavy, in addition to being visually mismatched.

My two favorites were the the G2 and the G2Z, both of which provided a perfect aesthetic match with the KL3 and felt relatively light compared to the 6P and its progeny.

My KL3 is noticebly brighter, and has a bigger hotspot than any of my KL1's.

I'm eagerly awaiting Doug Speck's UBH + E2C for a 6-6.5hr run with KL1 or longer and brighter with KL3. Since I'll have two I may devote the other one to incandescent duties.

I may have found a good holster/pouch for belt carry of UBH + KL1. It's a Brinkmann 2AA which I will "mod" to make it sleeker and slimmer.

Brightnorm

dirobesh

Enlightened

Thanks for all your input, I think I'll go with the G2+KL3.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Mr Bulk's LGI-LE
951 Lux
the real killer.
and whiter than snow.

-bernhard

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can find one, the Aitec AT2000L is the brightest 1 watt Luxeon light I`ve seen so far. It runs directly from 3 C-cells and the poor LED gets over an amp at the beginning
shocked.gif
I`ll review it before not so long. Craig reviewed one too on the LED Museum (ledmuseum.org).

Unfortunately I don`t know of any distributors for this particular one right now, as the manufacturer`s rep who sent it to me did not reply to any of my questions. Anyone seen them for sale anywhere? I know Lifestyles has the small 3AAA one but don`t think they carry the C cell one, and I wouldn`t reccomend them as a supplier anyway unless as a last resort!

rolleyes.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

It should... Just waiting for Wayne to deliver when it's ready...

The Aitec's way overdriven. And at that much initial amperage, it's only pushing out about 312Kmcds, while Wayne's Blaster (original) pushes out 580Kmcds...

His Blaster II should push out at least that of the Blaster Craig reviewed, if not more, due to the larger 30mm collimator...

McGizmo

Flashaholic

This light probably doesn't count but I just got a lux reading of 3400 at 39" from a 1W SE in a SF turbo head driven by a BB660:

black-Li-Ion.jpg

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

the brightest i have are reflectorized 3d *ag mods.

i use ld's in all of my mods, but i tried one with a se and found it to be whiter, throw farther, and be brighter...however, i took off the se and stuck on a ld because i didn't like the strange beam pattern.

i believe reflectors to be highly superior to the optics, brighter, longer throw, smoother beam, better pattern...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Didn't Lambda had a 1W SE that was initially used for the Cyclops that measured a whopping 5100 Lux????

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I do have such a critter.

But, a 1W producing a bright spot at 5100 Lux is no match for a 5W putting out 3400 Lux. The 5W just makes a whole lot more light!

Remember light meters tell us how "bright" a spot is, not how "much" light is being produced.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

True True... I wish I could find a good, small, cheap telescope so I can rip out the lenses and use them as a "collimator"... Would make a nice laser beam from a 5W HD...

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Originally posted by lambda:
......Remember light meters tell us how "bright" a spot is, not how "much" light is being produced.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So how do you find that out? My Meterman LM631 just arved and I haven't the ghost of a clue how to use the thing. It also refers to the "plastic domed cosine corrector" which apparently doesn't exist, at least not in the package.

Brightnorm

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Based on one evenings playing, I'd have to say that the brightest 1w dropin LS conversion is probably the latest version of the Cyan Madmax. That puppy is BRIGHT! You've got to take it outside to appreciate how bright it appears!