Extreme lux overdriving in liquid nitrogen

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Similar to hardcore overclockers - has anyone here ever tried running a lux under conditions where heat will never be an issue (eg submerged in liquid N2), just to see how much brightness these things are capable of? Totally pointless but could be a lot of fun...

Amonra

Enlightened
I tot of that too but it's kinda hard to obtain the liquid nitrogen

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I once put one in my thermoelectric freezer at -48°F but I was too chicken to crank up the current. Maybe next time.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
someone tried something like this AWHILE ago. IIRC it was a LUX I, somehow it was supercooled (mabyee a peliter junction), and I think it died at 3.??A due to a bond wire blowing. Like I said this was a while ago (at least a year). I would love to try it with a LUX III. I have played with LN several years ago, and electronics do some STRANGE things.
Jeff

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was me. I cooled the lux to -30C with a peltier in ice water, I wanted to find the current at which the lux would die from extreme overcurrent rather than heat. The last measurement I made was 2.4A at 4.52V (10.8W), saw the meter briefly hit 3A, then it went dark. So fusing current is around 3A.

I also used a T brightness binned R/O star to see how extreme cooling caused a brightness increase. The red/orange/amber luxeons have a more extreme brightness/temperature coefficient, and get substantially brighter at cooler temperatures. I couldn't quantify the brighness increase since I didn't have a light meter at the time.

I think I'll get one of the new 190 lm R/O luxeons and see how that does under the same conditions.