ARC LS vs E2E w/KL1?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
you folks really have me curious now. i have been following with interest the various threads on the ARCs and new KL1.

i know they are both great lights. both regulated. both small...

what i am wondering is how the surefire LED compares to the ARC (which everyone seems to love)?

it seems that they both can be had for similar price...therefore, which seems brighter? whiter? nicer beam? does surefire choose nicely binned LS?

i am leaning toward the ARC...because i purchased a couple of 1w LS to toy with, and they are the NICEST LS ive seen!
but, i do like the idea of the surefire's ability to switch from (varying light output) incan to LED.

so...come one, come all! give your much valued opinion!

Bob

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by pedalinbob:

but, i do like the idea of the surefire's ability to switch from (varying light output) incan to LED.
Bob
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The KL1 doesn't offer this ability to switch between LED and bulb. It will be available on the A2, whenever that comes out.

As far as light and beam quality, I think ARC wins. The KL series puts out a bluish purplish beam. However I do belive that the KL series actually has higher overall output. I think ledmuseum has some numbers to back this up. Overall, you have to weigh the benefits of higher output vs whiter color and nicer beam. The KL1 I got has a funky beam with some rings and blue blotches in it. I've been waiting 3 weeks to get an RMA by email and it still hasn't come. It's not bad when you're actually using it, infact I don't even really notice, but I'd just like to get a "perfect" one.

What made me go with the surefire combo instead of ARC was the limited ~1hr runtime of the ARC LS. Wasn't enough for me. I might have gone with the ARC if I could have found a 2AA clickie, but they seem to be out of production or something. KL1 + E2e is much nicer in terms of runtime, at 4.5hrs in sun mode. Although KL1+E2e isn't very good for EDC, too big. Some will disagree with this, of course. I wanted a light for camping and general around the house use, so that didn't matter too much to me. I have my ARC AAA for EDC.

Also, with the E2E + KL1, you're getting an incandescant light and an LS. All for around $130. Although you do have to change heads.

Both lights are great, you just have to figure out exactly what characteristics you're looking for in a light.

-tibim

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tibim:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by pedalinbob:

Bob
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The KL1 doesn't offer this ability to switch between LED and bulb. It will be available on the A2, whenever that comes out.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think pedalinbob meant "it can switch" as in the heads.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the arc premium will most definately yeild a better beam pattern and finish. also, with the arc ls, you can either get a smaller than e1e with kl1, or about slightly larger than the e2e with kl1. the arc should also be more water resistant and offer a better coolness factor due to it's size.