Who else is interested in coins?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a spread of 1878 to 1921 Morgan Silver Dollars (not a complete set but 7 different dates) here in front of me.

My number one FAVE in older stuff is the Liberty Walking Half!

Who else?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: Who else is interested in coins?I

I got into collecting coins way back in my early years of Jr. High. My best set was probably the Mercury dimes. Not complete, but most of them. I agree the Liberty Walking Half is one of the best looking coins we've ever had. Most of mine are really worn. My father would bring home Buffalo nickels almost every day that someone saved for him. I remember once cashing in about $16 worth of dateless Buffalos. Wonder if those old worn ones are worth more than a nickel now. Can't say I've found anything worth saving in recent years.

Geoff

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only collect coins in my real, genuine piggy bank. The only 'collectors' piece of money I hold is an OLD 5 Dollar Bill. I think 1968 is the issue date on it. Has red ink on it, as in thats the color of the seal think on it. Old.

Cameron

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

It's pretty much known that you won't find much in change today. I like to look at coins in coin shops and other places though.

Most of my stuff was collected in late 80's, some was Grandpa's, and I got to go through lots of bulk that my buddy bought and pick out the best coins.

Still, I find it awesome to look at 1800's coins in pretty good shape! And I have a couple of awesome halfs, quarters, dimes and dollars.

I think I gotta go pawn shopping again...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I like coins and have a few "collected", though it's not a "major" hobby. I also used to (still have them) collect US Mint stamps. Miniature pieces of artwork! Love the engraving of the older ones!!

I bought a few error (off center) pennies awhile back on eBay for my sons & nephew. They're pretty unique.

Yep, the Walking Liberty & Mercury (winged Liberty) coins are indeed pretty!

Nothing looks so fine coming out of the ground while metal detecting than gold or silver! Found quite a few (well ok, ALOT!!) old coins while hacking around with a White's 5000D that I have. Haven't had it out in years. Spring is a good time for that hobby. Seems the wet ground "conducts" better...

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

I have a few coins. It's not really a big hobby of mine, a few years back my Uncle gave me buffalo nickels one of each year - 1913-1920. From then on I started a small collection. I have some mercury head dimes, a steel penny and old penny from 1899, and a bunch of silver and half dollars.

EDIT: I was looking at my coins, becuase of this thread, and I realized I also have some $2 bills (I always save them when I get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) and a beautiful bill from Costa Rica. They use very vibrant colors on their money.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I never really took to stamps. Too much trouble!

I have some coins from other countries, many Mexican for example, and a fair amount of Canadian.

How about the new nickles? I GUESS Lewis and Clark beat Monticello, but that nose!

Leeoniya

Enlightened

i have qutie a collection sitting and gaining value. it's under a bit of dust and i havent touched it in several years. i have a lot of early US coins. but also a good amount of coins from all over the world.

my most interesting US coin is probably the 1896 (i think, cant recall) silver 3 cents. followed closely by the strange normal looking nickels that were 35% silver and had real nickel in them. they have a P, an S, or a D on top of the capitol building dome. it's strange, cause these nickels are actually magnetic.

Leon

ledlurker

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I have a spread of 1878 to 1921 Morgan Silver Dollars (not a complete set but 7 different dates) here in front of me.

My number one FAVE in older stuff is the Liberty Walking Half!

Who else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I live a couple of hours from you.

My crown jewels are 15 US silver dollars from the mid to late 1790's. I got them in Saudi Arabia in the mid 1980's they were still being used as legal tender at that time. my other one is a Gold double Eagle (20$ gold coin) that I found in a field while dove hunting as a kid.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I owned a Gold coin that costed around $400 in late 80's for a week or so.

Finding one would be awesome!

I have 5 1989 and 1 1990 Silver Half Dollars with the Walking Liberty on them that I am damn proud of! All proof.

I may have a couple Standing Liberty Quarters worth 10-15 bucks, and some perhaps 5 or so buck halfs. But then who knows. Anything is only worth what someone will pay. And my best stuff that isn't locked up in plastic is in displays around my room. And I ain't parting with 'em!

I don't get too wigged out with non silver stuff, but have some outstanding Kennedy clad halfs.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Same here as sigman. I dont actually love it as much as flashlights (of course) but I do like finding a nice coin or two to add to my collection. My oldest coin I have is a penny from 1911.... not much, but probably worth something in my retiring years.... which is more than half a decade away.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Always loved coins, more so, 20 years ago. Now, I looked again, and it seems because of ebay, you can buy wheat ear pennies for next to nothing. Just annoying, or exciting, depending on your perspective (i.e. half full or half empty).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I have identified the oldest..

I have a pretty nice 1832 Half Cent as the oldest US coin.

And an 1877 Mexican large coin that I can't quite place. Something about piece of the 8, or real etc. Edit, found something!

Ebay Coin Listing

Mine is in dirtier and un-holed condition. Slightly sharper detail too!

Today would be an ideal day to go coin hunting...

But as usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif is spoken here!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Oh MAN!

If it weren't for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif Ebay is the place to be!

I found I have some awefully nice Walking Liberty Halfs, a few decent Standing Liberty Quarters, and many nice Franklin and Kennedy Halfs.

C'mon! Who else???

RH

Enlightened

Hi guys,

It's cool to see other's with the same interests! My first hobby was baseball cards, but I could get more into coins if I had the time. Also, I started s site recently for the discussion of colectibles. I haven't promoted it yet, but your welcome to have a look!

Best,
Robert

akula88

Enlightened

My main interest were on "8-Reales Columnaria" series of 1732-1772. Minted by the colonies of Spain in central and south america, these coinage were the 'Dollar' of those days. I got some of these crown size coins from local vendors and a few non-mexico from eBay. But I stop my collection altogether because I was 'investing' relatively much chunck of my meager income.

I also dabbled on contemporary coins to pass idle time. To date, I have about 5 albums of 'contemporary' coins and two albums of silver coins.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

If it were possible, I'd go BONKERS on Ebay.

There is some AWESOME stuff on there, and not all radically priced.

Speaking of awesome, I'm looking at one 1921 Morgan and a 1922 Peace at EF+ and some nice toning here at my desk.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Hold the phone folks!

Looking through my stuuff, I found in a different stash what may be a 213 year old Irish Half Pence.

A 1782 (it's quite worn and 17 is not visible) George III Rex.

It may be a good spoof. But in google searching 1782 Hibernia Coin I found url=http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/Br-IrishCopper.2.html]Irish Coppers[/url] and if you scroll down to George III, you'll see a nice example of what I'm fairly sure I have a poor example of!

Who else?

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking through ebay, seems like prices of wheat ears, etc have dropped over the past 10-20 years. Maybe not the high end stuff, but the simple pennies and nickels seem cheaper now. Is that true?