Cell Phones - National Do Not Call Registry

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that in a few weeks that cell phone numbers will be released to telemarketing companies. You may want to register your cell phone now to prevent unsolicited telemarketers from harassing you while you pay for it. Don't you just love those telemarketers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

National Do Not Call Registry

Sometime when I'm in on of those moods I like to see how long I can keep them on the line. OK so I need to get a life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edited after reading more
Well, I stand corrected. Nothing like posting something just to find out I'm wrong.

Sorry, but I still hate the telemarketers

The truth

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
perhaps one cell phone company wont release the numbers to spammers. That company would probably garner more business than the others when the word got out.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that one method of telemarketing was to just dial every possible combination of digits to form phone numbers. This would get unlisted numbers and cell phone numbers. In that case, the registry might help. I don't know for sure, but I registered mine when the service opened up a year or so ago.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
typically they either call based on area code and exchange prefix withhin the areas that they want to target or they use lists they buy from others. Some of the lists they get from signing up for freebies such as giveaways at fairs. I almost bet *some* rebates that require a phone number are also involved in mining for spammers.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the best method of finding the numbers is to advertize a "do not call" registry in a chain or spam e-mail then have people call it , and leave thier number /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i did not get on the regular phones do not call list, because the worst telemrakers in the world, will use it a s a DO CALL LIST /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif
and psudo non-profits, and politicians were excluded.
so that means for SURE i was giving out my number to them that would not even normally have it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
politicians and many charities are exempt from the do not call list. The only thing it is good for is everything else, and most people wont go the distance to track down and take those to court that break the law of it. During the last presidential election here we had an extremely heated battle and I was continuously getting political dialers with premade messages playing. I now have caller ID... the best weapon against spammers, hopefully they wont start illegally bypassing it.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The registry virtually eliminated telemarketing from my landline. This is one case where the politicians actually took some action where they should have and they solved a problem. It's kind of refreshing.