Cold Steel's old AA flashlight on steroids

kellite

Newly Enlightened
Cold Steel\'s old AA flashlight on steroids

The Club was the Cold Steel knife company's contribution to muscular "tactical torches". It carried 7 AA batteries in the long slender rugged barrel and had some design pros and cons (for instance, I didn't like the placement of the button, set up in the tail cap like a Surefire but awkward to operate one handed when mated with a very long barrel). Also, I found that the button and the connection to the lamp were vulnerable, despite the durability of the flashlight itself. The torch had some throw but the fixed beam blossumed wide rather than far. As with Maglites, The Brute can also use Xenon lamps.During the nineties, Cold Steel dumped its remaining stock onto U.S Calvary or Brigade Quartermaster, where it was retitled The Enforcer and sold at a discount.Could there be a market for an improved version of The Brute?Jeff

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cold Steel\'s old AA flashlight on steroids

Theres a need for a long slender light? How about packing that thing with cr 123s? I was going to say it may not be bad to put the barrows parallel, but energizer already made something like that. Another problem with multicell devices that is if one battery goes out, the power goes down making it dim or the radio act funny.

paulr

Flashaholic

Kellite, yes, CPF's own Mr Bulk did a sort of Brute-inspired light informally called the Photon Baton or sometimes "Assault and Batteries":

http://darkgear.com/mrbulk/namethis.htm

Some later incarnations (like a 6AA extension for the Space Needle) were offered for sale.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think there's any real need for these, but at some point I'm going to make 7AA bodies for Surefire P-series parts.

kellite

Newly Enlightened

That Photon Baton is a nice and slick piece of work!

Jeff

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

He actually built a version in fairly large numbers that screwed into the end of a 2C maglight, and had a titanium end piece.

I love mine!

Bill

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
He actually built a version in fairly large numbers that screwed into the end of a 2C maglight, and had a titanium end piece.

I love mine!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.. I have one A&B extension for my SNII Clone from MrBulk as well.. Very well made and feels really tough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif