• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Adjustable Heatsink

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
I was asked to help a friend move more heat from his 5 watt "D" cell mod with a "push in" battery tube heatsink and came up with this heatsink.
It threads into the mag's head just like the battery tube and by threading in or out will accomodate the SO 27 and SO 20 reflectors and the 30mm optic Elektrolumens sells and with a thicker lens o-ring (included) will allow using the SO17 reflector and NX05 and Fraen low profile (narrow beam) optics. (And maybe others that I don't own) Screwing the battery tube against the bottom of the sink locks it in the desired position and if you sand the annodize off the end of the battery tube, you will create a strong path to ground through the sink. The sink disk is about 3/8" thick 6061 aluminum and 1.535 in diameter threaded 20 tpi as is the battery tube. It uses my PR base connection for ease in changing hosts
I include some thermocote heatsink grease for the threads and the thicker o-ring mentioned for using the smaller optics and reflectors. The LED shown in the picture is not included.
The price is $16.00 shipped in the US. Cash Paypal only, please! Please PM me for international rates. I have 5 on hand and will make more if you want them!
Thanks and Happy Moddering! [image]
scan00126ee.jpg
[/image]

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice. Brilliant idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if this would work to raise the emitter high enough into a 50mm Carlco mirror lens optic that people have wanted to mod...

lmcmann

Newly Enlightened
Could you pop holes in it for a 3 star mod? Not that this isn't an excellent idea as it is, but with all the sinking, it just begs to have 3 stars on it.

Larry

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Ah, shucks... thanks Icarus! PMs answered to cgpeanut and BC0311.
Imcmann, there is not enough room to mount 3 stars on this sink, but I'm working on one that will allow 3 3 watt emitters to use the SO20, SO17, NX05, and Fraen Low profile (narrow beam).... It needs to be a little thicker than the star sink.
Scrudinc, IsaacHayes... I truly can't say whether it will work with those reflectors....
Modamag, I really doubt it will work with a cut down stock mag reflector, but I can't say for sure having never tried cutting one down, but this sink holds the base of the star 3/8" above the end of the battery tube and most of the stock reflector mods I've seen use a sink pressed into or resting atop the battery tube which, I'd guess would put the LED at most 1/8" above... There is very little space available in the Mag head to play with and still leave the o-rings covered to provide water resistance....

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Bc0311... your sink went out this morning too!
Seemed to me the "v" shape of the screw threads meant at least twice the surface area for heat transfer as a simple "face to face" contact... the idea that different optics/ emitters could fit with one sink was an after thought.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You, Wilson! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought this would be something Britt would want and seeing what Charlie said confirmed it for me.

Cathi J.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Sweet heatsink - b2eze is the Master of the Dropin Mag Conversion.. and a PROPER conversion with real heatsinking (to flashaholic standards) too! Not only that, there is still adequate room for a small resistor or two, thus solving the "I want a drop in and I have everything BUT a 3-cell Mag" problem - resistor it up for 4D. SO20XA - now we're talking - my favorite reflector.

Would it be possible to do one for C-sized Mags too? Just asking.

PS: Isn't this the equivalent of the Light Engine concept for the Alephs, now brought over to the Mag world? Royal Blue one day, cyan the next, green the day after, and white for those days when you can't afford to play.

I'm interested in one of the sinks - it solved the problem of "dang I'm gonna have to buy another light just to house a particular drop-in". My Mag85 can now double as a LED light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
b2eze & Scudinc: If you used an emitter instead of a star, and there was enough room in the head for the stock mag reflector to fit, it can focus to the tightest. I have done this with flat heatsinks in the barrel tube. You must sand the back of the reflector after you cut it to remove the thickness of the plastic until it's close to sanding through to the chromed part. But don't enlarge it or sand into it. I have done this on both 3W & 5W setups and can focus a little past the tighest focus doing this so I know it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif This is how my luxIII S2J-Cyan is setup, on a 1/4" HS in the barrel.

The mirror lens is pretty neat, I don't have any specs on it but I'm sure they are out there... I just know it's a 2 degree beam!

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Issac, I'm going to have to cut a mag reflector and try it to see! How far did you screw your battery tube into the head using the reflector? Is the battery tube o-ring covered?
I was told the Carlco is only 9.1 mm high! I know nothing other than that about them, but I do know the concept of mirror or "cat" lens from my 35mm camera days (BD... before digital!)

Kevin, Flattery will get you anywhere! I think I can do this for the new style "C" mags, so you can run the SO 20 as well as shorter optics and reflectors, but you would probably lose a lot of heatsinking since the sink would need to be raised from the head's ledge for the smaller reflectors and optics and the distance to the battery tube where the heat would be dispersed would increase. I doubt the loss of sinking would be worth the convenience. But if you want a sink for just the SO20 with the added sinking of threading into the battery tube as well as sinking through the ledge, I can do that with an additional 1/4" of threaded sink. Let me build one first, before I commit! Are you interested in single star or emitters?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey b2eze,

The kudos are all yours, man. And if you could machine them with a slight "pedestal" on the emitter side I'd like to buy some. This would allow for easy use of the original Magflector, plus I have some new emitters that are not seeing use, just sitting around, since I switched over to Stars for current projects. Or do what Isaac said, or else one could even remove about 6-7mm (if I remember correctly?) from the bottom of the Mag's reflector to use your heatsink as-is with a Star, but I just prefer the pedestal route myself. Again, thanks for making something for the - hole-y Maglite.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I've got a bunch of virgin mag reflectors left from 3 X 3 mods over the past year, I'm gonna cut some up! I'll let everybody know if they work with the threaded sink. If so, we'll find a way to make emitters work.... after all. if you've got a star, you've got an emitter. They're easy to pop off!
MR B, you may not remember, but you turned me on to a Q3 star with a bubble in it a while back.... I had never seen such a thing and I still have it. Almost put it in a Arc LS, almost put it in a L1, almost put it in a KL1... But I like the bubble as much as the light!
You've got a sink with your name on it... just gotta find the right format!