Radio Shack bulb for Mag with 4 CR123As?

mdarby

Newly Enlightened
Does Radio Shack have any appropriate bulbs for a Mag mod using 4 CR123A batteries? Will this setup flash the bulbs for a Mag6D?

Thanks,
Michael

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a PR bulb when I setup my 2C Mag for 4 CR123's. I forget the part number, but it was 8.something volts and it wasn't a Krypton (PR-?? instead of KPR-??).

mdarby

Newly Enlightened
sween1911:

How did you set up the tail contacts in your 2C Mag for 4 CR123s? I reversed the original tail spring, and added a small spring to make contact with the smaller CR123A. At the moment, it almost closes but just doesn't (about 1/16" more to go.) I wanted to go this way to keep the original spring in case I wanted to reverse it.

Did you solder something custom or take a different tack altogether?

Thanks,
Michael

juancho

Enlightened
My mods of the Maglite "C" for four 123's is in the 3 C body.
You need a piece of pipe of the diameter of the 123's and some duct tape to wrap around the pipe for proper fit.
The proper bulb is the Carley 717 and you don't need to do anything to the spring, just shave the skirt of the last 123 battery for a bigger negative contact.
If you like a nice beam you will have to frost the bulb (with emery paper) and use one of Fivemega LOP reflectors.
This set up put so much light that at a distance you don't see any artifacts in the beam, close by it shows the filament. Frosting the bulb with emeril paper or acid etching it will give you a very nice beam.
contact me if you need Carley 717 bulbs.
Juan C.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a tailcap spring from a 2AA MiniMag. Unwound it at the bottom a bit to stay in the tailcap of the 2C. CAUTION: This tends to smash the 123's together and I won't try to cram 4 of them in the light anymore. 3x123 and a Ratshack KPR112 put out better light (if not an increased chance of flashing).

Juancho, WOW! Great idea on bulb frosting. Never though about that as a good way to reduce artifacts. I have my stock 2C reflector slightly sputtered, which makes a serious beam with a KPR112. Right now I have 2 nicad C-cells and a Krypton 2-cell bulb for general use. Might have to try the sandpaper frosting on some of my PR bulbs. I have some good wet/dry 600 grit paper to use too.

vhyper007

Enlightened
Hi Juan,
Only slightly OT but I put 6AA in a Mag2d with RS KPR112 bulb and it lasts for all of about 75 seconds before going out. Wait awhile and it will repeat this performance. Why?

How much do you sell the 717 for and would it work in my setup from above?

Also what do you mean by shaving the skirt of the last battery for more contact?

I read your posts and would appreciate your suggestions.
Would also appreciate help from other contributors too.
thanks,
vhyper

mdarby

Newly Enlightened
Juan,

I just found your threads from last year on this topic, I hadn't realized how much had already been explored.

How did you decide upon the Carley #717 versus #808 or #809? And yes, how much do you sell these for?

juancho

Enlightened
hi guys,
Carley 717 will take four 123 batteries safely. The Carley 809 potted is very robust and will take five 123's with no problem, but them you will have to use a Maglite 4 C and put a extension spring added by solder to the stock one.
The Carley 808:I never have the opportunity to try it as they were out of stock the time I ordered.
I have only one packet of 3 717 which I will part for $24.00 shipped.

Shaving the skirt means take a razor blade to the skirt of plastic wrapping that wrap over part of the negative contact, after you slice that out, the entire diameter of the battery is exposed.
If you need more clarification, ask and I will take a picture tomorrow.
Also you can take the positive top (nipple part) out of a C battery and use that between the last battery and the spring.
The increased resistance is minimum.
Guys, the starting voltage of the 123's from Surefire is more than 3 volts, maybe around 3.3 volts for each. So it is recommended that you don't use FRESH BATTERIES, run them in another light for 5 to 7 minutes FIRST.
Juan C.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Only slightly OT but I put 6AA in a Mag2d with RS KPR112 bulb and it lasts for all of about 75 seconds

[/ QUOTE ]

RadioShack also has a KPR118 bulb that will last longer with AA's. I've been running mine with 7-AA's and it has lasted through lots of on/off cycles.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a theory not a practice.

I run a RS KPR 118 7.2 volt .55A bulb with 9AA alkies. I think the only reasons I can get away with that is because I'm using version1 Elektrolumens 3AA to D holders that have an average of 1.25 Ohms resistance. Also those AAs aren't delivering near the current the 123s will.

Alan L has done the same thing with CA717s.

123s used in high-output applications drop to 2.3 forward Voltage pretty quickly. If you were to use them for 5 - 7 minutes in another light first, they might not blow the inexpensive KPR 118 at 21% to 28% overdrive.

If the theory has a leak in it maybe jauncho will point that out.

I think Hooked On Photon's suggestion is a much better (tested) suggestion for a cheap bulb. The KPR 20 is 8.63V and .501 amps. (Thanks, Hooked On Photons. I didn't know about that bulb.)

Ginseng has used the same set-up jauncho is using but with a CA717 acid etched bulb. Also, @ $24.00 shipped, Jaun is not making any money. He's doing one of those famous CPF favors. Might want to jump on it while you have the chance to get these quality lamps?

Good luck and have fun.

***EDIT*** Hello, bjn70. I Didn't see your post until I posted.

----------

- Jeff

rwolff

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Does Radio Shack have any appropriate bulbs for a Mag mod using 4 CR123A batteries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having searched a number of places for a 6D bulb, I'd have to say Radio Shack doesn't have what you're looking for. Assuming you're running a series stack, you've got 12 volts. A buddy of mine running a (modified to SLA) 6D lamp with stock (PR18) bulbs got a fair runtime with PR18 (6D) bulbs, has switched to 12 volt bulbs (I believe the part number is PR15) recently (no burnouts yet).

You might want to try a place with a good selection of cordless tools, since a lot of them have a flashlight attachment. These have the standard PR base, and 12 volts is one of the more common battery packs. I know that Canadian Tire carries spare 12 volt bulbs, but they're probably a bit far for you to get to. I got my KPR18 bulbs at Home Hardware (not Home Depot) - they also had bulbs for 8D lights (12 volts), and I believe that chain operates on both sides of the border. Bear in mind that (at least in Ontario, CA) different stores in the chain will carry different items.

juancho

Enlightened
I once took my Rioby flashlight tool (18 volts) and run it with six 123's the bean and brightness was only as good as the original tool (not too great)
The reason is the sloppy long curving up filament that those tool bulbs have.
So you are not going to be happy with them.
Juan C.