Bird Watchers?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
As a bird watcher and feeder I find the confirmation of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker's existence pretty neat. Ever since getting into birding I've read speculations about the Ivory Bill. It's hard to imagine a bird that big being able to hide out for so long. It's cousin, the Pileated Woodpecker, is probably the most exotic bird to visit my yard.

Geoff

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. Very neat. A bright spot in today's news. Very strong rumors of several fairly recent sightings in the Texas "Big Thicket" area (along Neches River - north of Houston), kept secret for the same reasons as the Arkansas sightings.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hordes of folks (like me)who want a glimpse. Maybe a couple of jerks with shotguns that want a "trophy".

A couple of years ago, an albino red-tailed hawk was spotted near my community. She was territorial, like most all hawks, and could usually be seen in a certain dead tree about 50 yards from a county road. A small article appeared in the newspaper and two days later the hawk was found shot dead, lying on the ground underneath the tree. True story.

I'm a hunter. That scum was not a hunter.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bird watcher and I think it's pretty awsome news. Now, all they gotta do is clone 'em so they don't become extinct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm a casual bird watcher and I found the news interesting. It also demonstrates that we're not always as smart as we think we are. Hopefully they'll have a better chance of thriving this time.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow i just was out trying to photo a bird in my new back yard it was so pretty but sadly he was to far for flash and it was geting dark there was at least 2 of em.i have a pic of him ill try to post it i no longer have web space avalable

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok here it goes it may not work its a free web space on netzero the pic came out bad no where enough light and i couldnt hold cam still was took like a hour a go or sometjiong
bird9ka.jpg

Empath

Flashaholic
Raggie, it doesn't look like NetZero permits remote linking. You might visit Imageshack. They'll give you space for free hosting of images.

was_jlh

Enlightened
It's great news, Geoff, still waiting for my first Pileated here.

Raggie, that's a Tanager, one appeared in my sister's yard this week also.

A guy that wrote articles for Birdwatcher's Digest used to hang out on CPF, can't remember his handle.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ssmed to have a blue or purple belly but the light was so bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
Seems like a lot birds are making a comeback.I have lived on this farm in Ohio since 1960.In 45 years I have seen the bird population increase quite a bit.We now have 3 pairs of redtail hawk living on the property.Finches ,jays and woodpeckers are also much more numerous.I hope the trend continues.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
In the last few days at the feeders we've had three somewhat out of the ordinary birds, the Blue Grosbeak, Rose Breasted Grosbeak, and Indigo Bunting. I think they were just grabbing a snack on their way north. We've also had some hummingbirds passing through already.

Geoff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I heard some sort of a wren outside today. It has a call that reminds me of a car starter being cranked, a repetitive rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr. I couldn't see where he was, but it sure was a treat to hear him.

sniper

Enlightened
Geoff; It is great news! Growing up in Florida, I had hoped to see the Ivory Billed Woodpecker, only to be told they were extinct. I am also hunter, (Bigiron, you speak truth!) birdwatcher and feeder. Mostly House Finches, House Sparrows, and a Black Capped Chickadee or three come to our feeder.

Raggie; is that a Scarlet Tanager you have there?

I am going to add the Ivory Billed Peckerwood to my list of "would like to see" birds, right next the the Atlantic Puffin,Painted Bunting and the Emperor Penguin. All of which are sort of rare in Utah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Saw my first American Goldfinch this morning. I've always been interested in birds, we just moved this past year to a more rural area and there are far more birds to watch in the backyard.

As far as I can tell from Peterson's, that's a Scarlet Tanager..

was_jlh

Enlightened
A female Rose-Breasted Grosbeak arrived this morning, first time we've had a male/female pair sighted.

For those that like feeding woodpeckers, try "Peanut Delight" suet by C & S Products ( don't get Peanut Treat ). You can find it at WalMart and PetSmart. The woodpeckers here prefer it over any other brand/flavor I've tried.