Is Your Nuwai Reliable?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Q3 & 2AAA .5 that I've beaten up on the job. So far the Q3 is holding up but my .5 went very dim after six months. It survived several hard knocks but went dim out of the blue. The problem has been traced to its driver board.

How have your Nuwais held up?

Any recommendations for a Peak model and dealer you like? I'm looking for a thinner LED penlight for my shirt pocket.

Thanks.

davidra

Enlightened
Hey Jay....I've got several Nuwais, and they've not had any problems, but I haven't used them that much, even my QIII. For a shirt pocket Peak, avoid the SS and brass ones; they'll be too heavy. Additionally the Peaks don't come with a clip, although an Arc clip will fit one. Get the three LED HA ultrapower. It'll put out a whole lotta light.

davidra

Enlightened
Hey Jay....I've got several Nuwais, and they've not had any problems, but I haven't used them that much, even my QIII. For a shirt pocket Peak, avoid the SS and brass ones; they'll be too heavy. Additionally the Peaks don't come with a clip, although an Arc clip will fit one. Get the three LED HA ultrapower. It'll put out a whole lotta light. The snow LED's are pretty white; I think they might put out slightly less than the whites, but it's probably worth it.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, 'dra, I'm thinking along those lines. HA for durability and light weight in the shirt pocket. 3 ultra LEDs for enough light to see inside of things in the presence of background lighting. Hopefully having less weight (and inertia when moving) than the 2AAA Nuwai .5 will lessen damage when dropped onto hard floors.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a .5 1AAA with a lithium batt and it has done fine. Get some flickering occasionally, but adjusting the tailcap always takes care of it.

steve_vance

Enlightened
all of my Nuwai lights have been 100%, except for the .5 watt 2-AAA: I had some interittent switch problems that were serious enought to make me decide to leave this light at home

Moe

Newly Enlightened
I bought several Q3s 8 months ago and gave two of them away as a present. All of them ran through several Cr123s and are still working properly.
I use mine daily without any problems so far.
HAIII would be a great idea though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NetMage

Enlightened
The QIII has been great, even on R123 but the TM-301X-3 ("Q3 mother") melted a solder connection on 2xR123. Since it didn't heat up at all, and after taking it apart, I can say it really wasn't built as well as the Q3 - I'm not sure I'd expect it to be reliable on high even with regular CR123.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
davidra said: Get the three LED HA ultrapower. It'll put out a whole lotta light. The snow LED's are pretty white; I think they might put out slightly less than the whites, but it's probably worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

davidra,

How does the output (throw and spill) of the "new style" Peak Matterhorn AAA 3LED Ultra Power compare with the "old style" 3LED High Power?

Thanks.

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Got a few Nuwais at home and they work perfect.
Even my rough use QIII which I used in wet weathered conditions. But just fried the tailcap module cos I replaced the star with a 190 lumens LUX III. HAHA!

Robban

Enlightened
My QIII has been great. I don't abuse it as much as others do though. I had a slight problem when it was new, the switch sometimes malfunctioned. But that problem very quickly went away with use, it wasn't an issue to be honest.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put it in boiling water .. ... and it was ON ... it still functions properly...

I modded it with a TWOK .... better & white beam... works flawlessly

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have a Nuwai 1812C that's been fairly reliable.

One of the 5mm LEDs failed at one point ... I can't remember if that's when I was screwing around with discharging NiMH AAs, or trying to read the Vf across one of the 5mm LEDs.

I always considered the ring of 5mm LEDs on there to be an afterthought of a feature - the tint differences between the luxeon and 5mm's is impossible to miss - unmistakable white VS typical angry-blue 5mm LEDs.